PDA

View Full Version : Review Of Jim Ross' New Bbq Restaurant

bad_meetz_evil
07-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I hit the restaurant Saturday evening around 5 p.m. I avoided the opening days so I wouldn't have to fight the crowds who wanted to get in first. And from what Ross said in his blog about people lining up around 7am on opening day, I didn't feel like messing with the crowds.

Now before I start, they completely renovated a vacant Krispy Kreme donut shop. So the place isn't as big as you would think and the tables are close knit but you have just enough room to maneuver around and have elbow room to eat.

When you walk in the front doors, you are greeted by a display case that shows all the merchandise you can buy: shirts, hats, jerky and BBQ sauce. Throughout the lobby area there are display cases that contain various wrestler memorabilia (shoes, belts, tights, etc). They even have a pair of white tights signed by Jerry Lawler - I wonder if these were the same tights that Ross wrote about recently where during their tag match, Lawler ended up with a 'brown stain' that spread during the match. LOL

One of the display cases was unique as it has some Mickey Mantle stuff, XFL (why JR, why), and some JR stuff (figurines of him and Lawler at an announce table).

After you walk in and wait to be seated, you have a big display case with images of JR with local celebs like Bob Stoops, Barry Switzer, one of his black hats hangs above the case. On the wall next to that is a collection of John Wayne images, ranging from magazine covers to still images.

On all the walls there are various wrestling, football, and other images Ross has collected and put on display. Strategically placed throughout the restaurant are 8 25" flat screen TV's - they might be 30" as I can't tell much different between those 2 sizes.

Now on to the meat (no pun intended) of the review.

It only took us about 15 minutes to wait for a table for 6 (I went with family). We had a little wait to get our server/waitress to start taking our drink orders - but I figure this is the norm for the first week with new staff and the amount of people there. You can see the menu online at JR's website so you can get an idea of what you want before you get in there. The prices are a little higher that several of the other BBQ joints around me, but trust me, it's worth the little extra you pay for what you get - more on that later. One thing about the menu, they have 2 types of cornbread - regular and Mexican (contains jalapenos for those that don't know). They only make enough regular for the day so if you don't get there early enough (and don't like the Mexican cornbread like me) you won't get any and are stuck with either white bread or Mexican cornbread. Also they only have chili with beans, so you non-bean chili lovers will be out of luck here.

I ordered the Ribs & Chicken Smackdown, my mom ordered the Rotisserie Chicken, dad ordered the small stack of ribs, and I forgot what the others ordered. You are given a generous portion of food here. Mom ended up with half a chicken with 2 sides, dad had 3 MEATY ribs (more meat than other BBQ places here) with 2 sides and I had 2 ribs with half a chicken and 2 sides.

Now the ribs aren't covered in BBQ sauce when they come to the table. On the table are 2 bottles: regular and spicy chipotle. I put some of the chipotle sauce on my ribs and chicken. Man that was some of the best sauce I've ever had. It's not too hot or spicy, but yet there's enough of a kick to let you know it's there. I picked up a bottle of the sauce and an autographed hat as we left. The potato salad was awesome and the fried okra was some of the best I've ever had. Most places cook it too long where it's between done and burnt. These were nice and golden brown with a crispy soft texture - perfect!

All in all the experience and good were great. So here's my breakdown rating:

Food: 6 out of 5 (yes that's right,)
Service: 4 out of 5
Atmosphere: 4 out of 5 (music was a little too loud and we had to raise our voices to each other and the waitress to be beard)
Pricing: 4 out of 5 (higher than some similar places, but food quality is better)
Menu: 4 out of 5 (add non-bean chili and keep making plain cornbread during the day)

Credit: PWInsider.

I'd love to dine in at J.R.'s resturant!