PDA

View Full Version : Nikki v Mischa

OMEN
05-15-2006, 01:55 PM
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5154083,00.jpg
Bust-up ... actress Nikki Reed is set to upset many Australian fans of The OC
IT'S the moment that The OC fans have been dreading – the split of star couple Ryan Atwood (Ben McKenzie) and Marissa Cooper (Mischa Barton).
Worse still, Ryan will find comfort in the arms of Sadie Campbell, the cousin of newcomer Johnny Harper.

"It's definitely a bit racy between Sadie and Ryan," said Nikki Reed, who guest stars as Campbell.

Reed, who at 13 wrote herself the plum part of a seductive drug-abusing saboteur in the acclaimed 2003 art-house film Thirteen, says joining the tight-knit cast of The OC was daunting.

Ahead of her May 16 Australian screen debut, Reed says she has done a lot for her 18 years.

It was never the aspiring writer's intention to become an actor.

"I went from high school to shooting this little independent film called Thirteen and all of a sudden I can't walk down the street anymore," she said from her home in the US.

"I wasn't the eight-year-old girl in the casting room with her mother getting head shots and trying to book commercials. It wasn't something (acting) I grew up wanting, so when it all happened I felt surprised."

Over the next year movie buffs will see Reed appear in many films, including Mini's First Time, produced by Kevin Spacey and starring Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin.

"It is surreal working with these people and I guess I do (get nervous)" she said.

"In the film I play Alec's, how do I say this ... step-daughter and girlfriend so there wasn't much room to be really nervous."

Reed is also writing another film script and attempting to secure financing for it.

She says if it weren't for the release and success of Thirteen, starring Holly Hunter, she wouldn't be taken seriously now – especially because of her age.

"Thirteen is the only thing that set or paved the pathway for me, but it is stressful.

"There is a lot you have to go through, especially women in this business and being young as well. I think we face a lot more challenges and obstacles a long the way. But I have a lot of great people around me who don't make me feel like I am limited."

There is talk of Reed joining The OC cast permanently next year and she says if it works into her schedule she will be there.

"With filming commitments and things it can be tough to block out a year to be on a show," she said.

"But if I do get asked I will check it all out because I would love to go back."

AAP