PDA

View Full Version : Jim Ross Talks About Merging The Brands, Female Wrestling Announcers, Teddy Hart, Ecw

Black Widow
10-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Jim Ross has posted his latest blog entry, replying to emails that were sent in to his website. You can read the full blog entry by clicking here. (http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/2007/10/29/feedback%e2%80%a6-bar-b-q-style-got-your-autographed-jr%e2%80%99s-cookbook-yet/) Some wrestling related highlights from this entry:

- The Undertaker is THE man without question, and the fact that he wrestles on a network television show, Smackdown, doesn’t make Taker’s status any less. I personally believe that Monday Night Raw is the WWE’s flagship program, not because I am on it for goodness sakes, but because of its tenure on the air and the fact that more PPV’s are successfully promoted off of cable than off of network TV. With all that said, The Undertaker being one of the cornerstones of Friday Night Smackdown is a good thing for their brand and WWE in general. You indicated you enjoy Smackdown better than Raw, so what’s your issue? I too enjoy Smackdown a great deal, as they usually feature more actual in ring wrestling than Monday Night Raw.

- The ECW brand is not going up in flames. Sci Fi has renewed the TV contract of the show and if one studies closely the ratings that ECW delivers to Sci Fi based on the other Sci Fi shows, one can see that ECW is an evolving asset to the cable network. When some of the ECW talents “get hot,” which will happen in time, then the Tuesday night show will indeed be considered much more “must see TV” than perhaps some perceive it to be now.

- I do not know the whereabouts of Kristal, as it’s not my day to watch after her. I have no idea if she is through with the biz or plans on trying it again.

- Teddy Hart has had about 3 chances to stick with the WWE, as I recall. Whether or not he gets yet another chance isn’t my call. At some point, however, all involved in the process have to realize that some things just aren’t meant to be.

- Most wrestlers don’t care if they are cheered or booed as long as there is a backside every 18 inches (the standard width of an arena seat.) Empty seats equate to less cash.

- I have no issues with there being a female commentator on any wrestling TV show as long as she is qualified, talented, and is a fan of the product. Today’s fans won’t settle for just anyone, male or female, handling a broadcast especially if the more educated, hard core fans denote that a commentator isn’t up to speed and is filling the job simply because of youth and their “look”. I am sure that some day a woman will handle play by play on a WWE broadcast. No issues with me on that one.

- I would love to personally see Sting have a productive and profitable “run” in the WWE before he hangs up his wrestling boots, but that is simply one man’s opinion. Will it happen? Only Sting can truly answer that question and no one else.

- Wrestlers who work the Indy circuit are to be commended, but comparing working a handful of independent dates a month to working full time, as in 7 days a week, back in the day in a territory including a weekly TV show, etc. isn’t comparing apples to apples.

- In my opinion, if all the brands were merged there would be many talents who would lose their jobs, as one brand doesn’t require as many wrestlers as the WWE has under contract. I still believe that in time and with the development of new stars and fewer serious injuries to establish stars that the three brand system can still work. In time, I may change my mind but that’s how I feel about that matter today.

- I don’t need to know who will wrestle whom as I prepare for all potential combinations of a match to be featured at Cyber Sunday, for example. I thoroughly enjoy going to ringside, sitting down and letting what ever happens happen and being a fan that just happens to be doing play by play. I have complete confidence in my ability to call any wrestling match just as I would broadcast a football game between two teams I had never seen before. The game is the game, and the fundamentals of the process will always be in place as it relates to my approach to the presentation.

You can read the full blog entry by clicking here. (http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/2007/10/29/feedback%e2%80%a6-bar-b-q-style-got-your-autographed-jr%e2%80%99s-cookbook-yet/)