PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Fabulous Moolah

Black Widow
11-03-2007, 10:59 PM
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7614/51707763ia4.jpg

Mae Young remembers her longtime friend and colleague, Fabulous Moolah:

Lillian was a very dear friend of mine, a sweet, wonderful girl. I loved her very dearly. We had a lot of very good times together. Back in 1949, she came to Charlotte, N.C., and I was wrestling and helped to train her.

When I went to work for Vince McMahon, Sr., Lillian called him, and he asked me what I thought about having her come work for him, and I told him, “I think it would be the greatest thing in the world.” That’s how this friendship started. She never changed, other than wanting to be the best girl in the business. My heart’s broken about it, but there’s nothing we can do.

Current Women's Champion Beth Phoenix remembers the greatest Women's Champion of all time, Fabulous Moolah:

Before I worked with WWE, I worked in the independents with Moolah, I'm just shocked right now. Moolah was the classiest person you could meet; she was very welcoming to new girls in the business. I was brand new at the time and she gave me advice that I will carry forever. Above all, she taught me that carrying yourself with class is important.

Former Women's Champion Victoria remembers the greatest Women's Champion of all time, Fabulous Moolah:

It's a big loss for the sports-entertainment world. I was very close with Moolah and Mae. We have them to thank for our Women's division. They paved the way, got in there and kicked ass.

She was a very sweet lady. On her 80th birthday, I remember, she wanted to have a wrestling match and of course, yours truly, had a match with her. I think I'm one of the privileged who was able to wrestle such a legend. I'm just so sad; I'm starting to tear up.

I’d like to thank Moolah for paving the way to make the Divas what we are today; we’re wrestlers, not just beautiful bodies. She sacrificed herself and her wellbeing to make it possible for us to go out there and be respected. I’ll miss her and I loved her.

Fellow Hall-of-Famer Sgt. Slaughter remembers his friend, Fabulous Moolah:

Moolah's death is a tremendous loss for the WWE. She had a passion for the sport and took the Women's Division to an entirely new level. She was a wonderful storyteller and a real General in the ring, a true pioneer.

She had a lot of friends in the wrestling world. She was very well liked and will truly be missed. I remember that many women wanted to be her, both in the ring and out. God bless, Moolah. She really will be missed.

Former female wrestler Donna Christanello remembers her longtime friend and the woman who trained her, Fabulous Moolah:

I worked for Lillian since 1963 when I came to North Carolina to wrestle. She was not only someone I worked for, she was my chosen sister. I have a brother and a sister, but Lillian was my chosen sister. She’s been a lifelong friend.

I came to North Carolina to learn to wrestle, and when we met each other, it just seemed like we were meant to be friends. No matter what little quirks we had, we accepted each other for how we were.

Insofar as wrestling is concerned, Lillian loved it. She would eat, drink and sleep wrestling. Nothing meant more to her in her life than her family and wrestling. You couldn’t watch anything in the house unless it was wrestling. Her family and wrestling, that was her life.

Outside of the ring, Lillian taught me all about friendship. She was just like her ring name, Fabulous.

WWE ring announcer Howard Finkel remembers his longtime friend and colleague, Fabulous Moolah:

We lost one of the leaders and pioneers of women’s wrestling in The Fabulous Moolah. When anybody thinks of women’s wrestling, the first name that always comes to mind is Fabulous Moolah.

What I remember most about Lillian was her win-at-any-cost attitude in the ring. But outside the ring, she was as charming as can be. She was a real southern belle, and she was so sweet and friendly that you always felt like family when you were around her. That’s what made her so unique – she was all business in the ring, always giving 150 percent. But outside the ring, she was the sweetest, kindest person. She would do anything for you.

I feel lucky to have developed a wonderful relationship with Lillian over the years. I first met her in 1977 when I started ring announcing, and she instantly blended right into the fabric with me.

I will always remember the way she went into battle with so much fervor and zest, even when her appearances became more of a cameo role. I will miss that about her. I will miss her kindness, sweetness and veracity. She will truly be missed.

WWE all of Famer Nikolai Volkoff remembers his longtime friend, Fabulous Moolah:

I remember Moolah when I joined WWE in 1970. She was a Champion and a beautiful lady, and she could be rough and tough, too. She really loved to wrestle, really loved it. She was big into being healthy and working out all the time. I think that’s why we got along so well, because neither of us smoked or drank.

I remember she would tell you how she felt about you right to your face, whether she liked you or not. She pulled no punches, and I appreciated that honesty. We never had an argument, Moolah and I.

Inside the ring, she trained a lot of the women wrestlers. She trained them right, too. She taught them to respect people. And everyone who trained with Moolah, they had respect for her.

Katie Glass remembers Moolah:

I knew Lillian for 46 years. She was like my adopted mother, and I can tell you that she was a very, very nice lady. She always treated everybody nice. She loved people and she loved kids. She was so loving and caring. – Katie Glass

Katie Glass is better known to sports-entertainment fans as Diamond Lil, a popular female wrestler who got her start in the early 1960s, thanks to Fabulous Moolah.

Glass was just a teenager when she first met Moolah. While at a wrestling event in 1961 in Richmond, Va., Glass was mesmerized by Moolah’s in-ring prowess. After the event, Glass had the opportunity to speak with Moolah about becoming a professional wrestler. So impressed with what she learned in just one conversation, Glass bought a bus ticket the next day and headed down to the Carolinas to train with the future WWE Hall of Famer. She has been down there ever since.

According to Glass, Moolah was like a mother to her. But before accepting her as a daughter, Moolah forced Glass to make some changes.

“When Lillian picked me up from the bus station, I asked her if I could call her Ma,” recalls Glass. “She said ‘no’ right away. She said no daughter of hers would ever smoke, while pointing to my cigarette. I rolled down the window and threw the whole pack of cigarettes out. The rest is history.”

After some intense training, Glass went on to debut as Diamond Lil, a name that was given to her by Moolah. With her wrestling career now behind her, Glass credits much of who she is today to the woman that helped launch her career – Fabulous Moolah.

WWE.com

J-man
11-03-2007, 11:55 PM
thanks Ryno

Punisher
11-04-2007, 12:18 AM
tragic thing in the world of wrestling

JohnCenaFan28
11-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Thanks a lot for this:sad:

OldSchoool
11-05-2007, 01:37 PM
RIP, what an amazing lady! We will miss you...

Here is a place to leave your condolences to her family

Credit: RHGLazyAzz

Give Moolah the respect she deserves-PLEASE READ and reply

http://www.dunbarfunerals.com/serviceinfo.php

__________________________________________________ ________
http://www.dunbarfunerals.com/serviceinfo2.php?oid=3171374&i_memorialid=1194215708

This link is for funeral details
__________________________________________________ __

http://dunbar.createatribute.com/registryMain.php?i_memorialid=1194215708

This link is for her obituary
__________________________________________________ _

http://dunbar.createatribute.com/registryGuestbookSign.php?i_memorialid=1194215708

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT LINK

Please visit this link and sign the guestbook. It is the least we can do for a lady of this caliber. It is still early and it looks like I may have been one of the first ones to get to sign. If you really do admire her and respect her, then lets sign the guest book.

Thanks

RHG