PDA

View Full Version : Ric Flair, WWE draft and Jerry Lawler

Black Widow
02-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Ric Flair, WWE draft and Jerry Lawler
By JEFF WILEN
JAWBREAKER

Leading up to WrestleMania 24 (XXIV) in Orlando on March 30, JAWBreaker will have some exclusive questions and answers with WWE announcer Jim Ross. This week, Ross' commentating partner Jerry "The King" Lawler joins me for a few questions. Here is Week 5 with Jim Ross and a special appearance by Lawler.

Question: Fans are anxiously anticipating Ric Flair's Hall of Fame induction. Will Ric Flair literally ride Space Mountain at Disney World? Maybe we can expect a promo from there promoting his match against Shawn Michaels?

Answer: "Flair will raise the bar as it relates to emotion and raw passion when he enters the WWE Hall of Fame on Saturday night March 29 in the Amway Arena in Orlando, which no fan should miss if at all possible. I have said, and I mean it sincerely, even if I was not in the WWE, I would travel on my dime to see 'Naitch' take his rightful place in the WWE Hall of Fame. This particular night can never be replicated again. Flair recording a promo from a roller coaster . . . what have you been smoking . . . BROTHER?!"

Question: It's very likely, with Jeff Hardy in the Money in the Bank ladder match at WM 24, that the Intercontinental Championship won't be defended at WM for the sixth consecutive year. Will this title ever mean something again, especially on the biggest stage of them all?

Answer: "I think the IC Title means something now. Could it mean more? Sure it could. Whether it is defended at WM 24 or not, the IC Title is the third most prestigious title in the WWE behind the WWE Title and the World's Title. I do agree that there could be more focus surrounding the Intercontinental Title and the title could be featured much more than it is. Plus, one is assuming that Jeff Hardy will still be the IC Champion come WM 24."

Question: Any chance we'll see a WWE Draft after WM 24?

Answer: "I assume that there is a chance, but I have heard nothing concrete about this matter. In 2008, I would rather see an influx of new, young talents make their debuts in an organized, systematic process rather than see the same established talents simply change addresses. I like the overall concept of the Draft, but I don't know that it has to be a cut and dried, annual affair. Although it does generally garner a nice TV rating and helps rosters that have been depleted by injuries."

Question: Your early reviews of new announcer Mike Adamle?

Answer: "I personally like Mike, who I first met when we worked together in the XFL. He seems to be adjusting well in the WWE community and has indicated to me that he will maintain his other projects -- including working for the NBC-TV affiliate in Chicago. In today's marketplace and with the volume of information that flows on the Net, all wrestling announcers are subject to negative feedback from time to time and, like the rest of us, Mike will not be immune to criticism from time to time. Mike is largely filling a role that Mean Gene Okerlund perfected in his Hall of Fame career, so the former NFL running back has significant shoes to fill. Mike is a sharp guy and might even have play-by-play instincts as his WWE experience evolves. Some of Mike's critics already have him termed as 'a failure' after only about a month on the job, which is totally unfair."

Question: What are your impressions of the announce team of Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura and how they made WrestleManias 3, 4, 5 and 6 bigger and better? (I think they did all four of those together, and I'm not sure if they did WMs 1 and 2 or not.)

Answer: "I have always been a fan of both men's work and was especially close to Monsoon, who became a mentor to me soon after I arrived in the WWE in 1993 when I was not considered a 'popular hire.' Monsoon always held his ground with the controversial Ventura, which made their on-air conflicts that much more entertaining back in the '80s. Ventura could dominate a broadcast if he was allowed to but not with Gorilla. They meshed well, and 'The Body' still had plenty of opportunities to contribute in his own unique style. In my opinion, Monsoon's best broadcast partner was Bobby Heenan, hands down, while Jesse probably worked best with Vince McMahon, but that's not to say that the Gorilla/Body combo did not do an excellent job in the early days of WrestleMania. Plus, one has to remember that in those days that a more traditional combination of play-by-play and antagonist color analyst was the norm, which isn't the case these days in the WWE. Play-by-play has been supplanted by being a story teller, while color commentators are not automatically antagonists."

JERRY LAWLER INTERVIEW

On WM 24 being outside: "When I first heard about it, I'm like 'What if it rains?' " Lawler then spoke of the same research WWE did and that JAWBreaker talked about months ago, that in the last 30 years it's rained about three times. "It might be exciting if it rains," said Lawler, who also joked with me about it only raining during the BunnyMania match.

On WM 24 being in Orlando: "It's one of my favorite cities. I think it will be so much more exciting. Everybody is wanting to come in early (and spend time at the attractions)."

On celebrities at WM: "It's one of our biggest events as far as celebrities are concerned." Lawler mentioned WM 10 with Jennie Garth and WM 11 with Pam Anderson.

On Floyd Mayweather: "The guy is full of himself. He's a great character and great personality, but he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. There's no way I would allow my guy to be in the same city as Big Show, let alone the same ring."

On the WM matches: With seven matches fairly set, Lawler agreed with me we might get three more matches.

On Ric Flair into the Hall of Fame: "I don't think there's anyone more deserving."

On WM history: "Every year, I think this is it -- you'll never be able to top this (and then we do)." I mentioned The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan. "That's one of my all-time favorite matches (top three)."

On BunnyMania: "This is as good as it gets when you have two divas who have been in Playboy teaming up."

His choice for the 2009 diva in Playboy: Kelly Kelly.

On WrestleManiArt event: "It's the official kickoff of WM week. Plans are involving. Jeff Hardy will (likely) be painting live at the event. We're trying to get as many WWE superstars to produce something, even if it's just a doodle. I'm a huge fan of Disney artwork, of DC Comics artwork, and a lot of that stuff will be on display. That's how I got involved with wrestling -- I drew caricatures of wrestlers and sent it in to a TV show."

THE WRESTLEMANIA 24 MATCHES

A. Confirmed matches:

1. WWE Championship match, Randy Orton vs. Triple H vs. John Cena (pick: HHH).

2. World Heavyweight Championship match, The Undertaker vs. Edge (pick: Undertaker).

3. Floyd "Money" Mayweather vs. Big Show (pick: Mayweather, he's not getting a $20 million payday for a loss).

4. Career threatening match, Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels (pick: Flair. Yes, Flair will win and then announce his retirement the next night on Raw).

5. BunnyMania: Candice Michelle/Maria vs. The Glamazon/Melina (pick: Glamazon/Melina).

B. My other predicted matches:

6. Money in the Bank Ladder match (Jeff Hardy vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Jericho vs. Mr. Kennedy to be joined by MVP, Carlito, Matt Hardy and Elijah Burke).

7. Brand Superiority match Smackdown Star (Batista) vs. Raw Star (Umaga -- confirmed)

8. JBL and Mr. McMahon vs. Finlay and Hornswoggle.

9. CM Punk vs. Chavo Guerrero.

10. Kane and Kofi Kingston vs. The Great Khali and Big Daddy V.

* Dark match: Tag-team battle with Lance Cade/Trevor Murdoch, Brian London/Paul Kendrick, The Miz/John Morrison and Cody Rhodes/Hardcore Holly.

* Celebrity battle royal -- no chance.

WRESTLEMANIA 24 REMINDERS

Each week, leading up to WM 24 at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, I'll post any new information here. You can count on this being your only weekly source for WM 24/Orlando news.

When: March 30 (Sunday). Gates open at 4:30 p.m. Dark matches between 6:30-7 p.m. Live on PPV at 7 p.m.

What: Five-day celebration of the biggest annual event in sports entertainment.

Where: Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

Outside?: Yes. WWE has had only one other completely outdoor WM (WM 9 in 1993 at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas).

Vince McMahon, commenting to me March 21, 2007, about the weather factor: "We have little concern about the weather. It's worth the risk. WrestleMania will go on, regardless of the weather."

March 30 weather: From my research, from 1997 to present, the average daily precipitation is 0.04 with a historical range of 0.00 to 0.21. Average temperatures from 60 degrees to 81 degrees. Rain in 1997 and 2001, but not after 7 p.m. That means WM 24 is safe, right?

March 28-April 1 weather: From my research, from 1997 to present, the average daily precipitation is 0.13 with a historical range of 0.00 to 2.25. There is an 18 percent chance of a precipitation day -- which is nine days out of 50 in historical record. Rain in 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003 and 2007 (all odd years). And it's 2008, so that's good pattern-wise.

Expected crowd: WWE has not ruled out breaking the Citrus Bowl attendance record (B-CU vs. FAMU football, 2003) of 73,358! It's "possible," I've been told.

Number of tickets sold: As of Feb. 24, we're at 61,805 (WWE has sold 1,805 tickets in nine days, since Feb. 15.).right over 60,000, according to WWE officials.

Tickets: Still available. Go to the Amway Arena box office in Orlando, Florida Ticketmaster ticket centers and FYE stores, charge by phone at 407-839-3900 and online at ticketmaster.com. For groups of 20 or more, order at 407-849-2014. Tickets are not on sale at the site, the Florida Citrus Bowl. Tickets are $250, $150, $95, $55 and $40. Prices include $5 per ticket facility fee.

WWE ticket deal: Orlando vacation package is available at wwe.com

Ticket offers: A JAWBreaker reader has seats in Section 118, Row R, Seats 21 and 22. He wants $300. Another JAWBreaker reader has three tickets in F39, Row K, Seats 13/14/15. She wants $799.50. If interested, kindly e-mail me, and I'll let them know.

Seating chart: ticketmaster.com/seatingchart/278605/20876

Parking: All lots are city-operated. For more information, visit orlandovenues.net/other_info_files/bowl_games/wrestlemania24.php. More information will be available in early March.

Expected profit: $25 million in new direct spending for Central Florida. WWE sources say Detroit made $30 million in revenue for the 2007 event.

Reported PPV price: $54.95 ($69.95 HD)

Hall of Fame: The Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be March 29 (7 p.m.) at the Amway Arena in Orlando. Tickets go on sale March 1 (10 a.m.) at the Amway Arena Box Office, Ticketmaster and Ticketmaster.com. Tickets are $35 to $55. Ric Flair, and Rocky Johnson and Peter Maivia (inducted by The Rock) are the current inductees. Additional entrants could be Randy "Macho Man" Savage, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, the Von Erichs, Ted DiBiase, Mae Young, Gordon Solie, Brisco Brothers, Rick Rude and Bob Uecker. TV tape delay of 11 p.m. Saturday and 2 a.m. Sunday (USA Network).

"Bacon, Bagels & Biceps Brunch:" 10 a.m. on March 30 at Rosen Centre Hotel (9840 International Drive in Orlando). Expected to accommodate 1,500-2,000 WWE fans and about 12 WWE superstars. Tickets are on sale at Ticketmaster. All seats are $125. Not an autograph session, but superstars will answer questions from fans and interact with one another. A local commercial promoted appearances by Batista and Rey Mysterio.

Pre-WM 24 fan cruise: Ted DiBiase is the main attraction for the cruise "Wrestlevessel" from March 27-March 31 to the Bahamas, followed by a WM 24 ticket. This is not a WWE event. For more information, call Northeastern indy manager Bobby Riedel at 1-888-813-SHIP or visit wrestlingfancruise.com

Superstar Challenge: The "Superstar Challenge", presented by THQ, will allow fans to battle in WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008. This event has been part of WM since 2003 in Seattle. This year's event will be March 27 (night) at the House of Blues at Downtown Disney in Orlando. If you win, you get floor seats to WM 24.

WrestleManiART: Will showcase original artwork created by current WWE superstars (include Jeff Hardy, Jerry Lawler and past WMs; tribute collage by Vicky Guerrero to the late Eddie Guerrero); March 26 at CityArts Factory. Co-hosted by the Central Florida Sports Commission, the City of Orlando, United Arts of Central Florida and World Wrestling Entertainment. Silent and live auctions, food and refreshments. Tickets go on sale March 14 for $50, with net proceeds to the ongoing community programs associated with the Central Florida Sports Commission and United Arts of Central Florida.

Other events: Fan Axxess in Orlando (dates and times to comes).

Most likely promo: Ric Flair will cut a promo about having ridden Space Mountain (at Disney World) all night long.

March 7: Maria's Playboy, which will likely be used in WM 24 activities, comes out.

GOING TO WRESTLEMANIA 24?

If you are from Volusia or Flagler County and successfully get tickets for WM 24 in Orlando, please let me know at jeff.wilen@news-jrnl.com

I might need to talk to you for future stories.

WEEKLY HEADLINES AND MY REACTS

TNA Wrestling's "YouTube shooters." REACT: I love this concept.

Mark Cuban and the McMahons to deliver MMA? REACT: It'd be a good partnership, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

Vince McMahon backed out of Wednesday conference on steroids. REACT: If Jerry McDevitt couldn't be there, I don't blame McMahon. Let other sports take the heat. Although from the sound of things, Congress wasn't happy with the no-show.

Florida Championship Wrestling lands future TV deal with Sun Sports. REACT: This is huge. It'll be like watching the minor leagues of WWE.

Zach Gowen return to WWE? REACT: That would be great.

TNA inquiring to WWE about taking BG James and Kip James off their hands. REACT: That's funny, but shouldn't WWE be concerned about an "invasion angle"?

Trish Stratus' Travel Channel TV show, Statrusphere, in August. REACT: Trish knows life outside wrestling.

Ring of Honor angle. REACT: Just when you think this federation was on the rise, it pulled a stunt like this. Disgusting.

WWE Films signs multi-year deal with 20th Century Fox to distribute future WWE movies. REACT: This is a positive step, which hopefully will strengthen the released flicks. And with a focus on PG-13 and not R, there should be more hit flicks.

MyNetworkTV gets Smackdown. REACT: That's Ch. 5 for Brighthouse users! Yes! A move from Friday to Thursday would hurt TNA Wrestling.

John Cena told The UK Sun that The Rock "doesn't give anything back." REACT: That interview was before Monday's Hall of Fame announcement, so people need to chill out.

Six weeks vs. six months for Rey Mysterio. REACT: Something isn't right with this injury. It smells of a Cena early return.

HULK HOGAN IN KISSIMMEE THIS WEEKEND!

1. Major news, Hulkamaniacs! Two Hulk Hogan autograph sessions on March 1 and March 2, 1-3 p.m. at the Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee. This is the Family Fun Zone and Outdoor Show. Hogan will be signing at the Fantasy Fishing Booth both days. Fans make get autographs and take pictures!

2. Hillbilly Jim's recent WWE-Hogan comment -- WWE may have been the vehicle, but Hogan was the driver. REACT: Great comment.

SHOW REVIEWS

WWE Smackdown: Decent show. I like how Edge started it off with a strong promo of a predator/opportunist angle to push his WM match against Undertaker. When did Edge wrestle last on Smackdown, and why would he run off in a 3-on-1 vs. Undertaker? I'm happy Shelton Benjamin won his Money in the Bank qualifier in a great match against Jimmy Wang Yang. I sure hope WWE explains Maryse and Teddy Long. Festus continues to carry Jesse, and Deuce and Domino's depush continues. Big Daddy V needed a win, and Shannon Moore surprisingly got some offense in on him. MVP's "victory over me is like life -- it can't happen twice" promo on Batista was classic. MVP dominated this match, but the right wrestler won. I thought Kane's pin during Khali's vice grip was unique. I enjoyed the Undertaker WM clips. Chuck Palumbo's squash win was a waste of time. Rey Mysterio got straight to the point, and although I'm glad he beat Chavo Guerrero, one should remember Chavo is the ECW champion. Why would Mysterio wait in the ring for The Big Show?

WWE Raw: This show really built up the WM 24 card very well. It also re-established two big names (Chris Jericho and JBL) in two big but different ways. I enjoyed the opening segment with HHH, John Cena and Randy Orton. HHH seems to be the crowd favorite. Just when I thought Orton was made to look weak, he rallied with two RKO's. HHH took a beating in the main event. Mr. Kennedy seems to be back in the good graces of WWE, as he had a segment with Orton and got the best of Cena at the end of the show -- even though Kennedy was pinned. I was glad to see Hardcore Holly/Cody Rhodes on the show, vs. Carlito and Santino Marella, but Jerry Lawler's commentary here distracted me from the match. Jericho's match vs. Jeff Hardy was superb, had a great finish and was a huge win for Jericho. The Hornswoggle angle is as confusing as ever, as now JBL claims Hornswoggle is Finlay's son. At least JBL is getting a push out of the angle. Umaga vs. DH Smith was a total squash. At least Smith is back on TV. What a finishing leap by Umaga! Teasing Paul Burchill over Umaga was just silly, but at least he's still in the story lines. Lance Cade put up a decent fight vs. HBK, who took out both Cade and Trevor Murdoch. Ric Flair-HBK was a perfect buildup. Shaquille O'Neal's quotes decently pushed Big Show-Floyd Mayweather.

WWE ECW: I can't complain about this show as it had on it wrestlers we haven't seen consistently (Mike Knox, Stevie Richards, The Miz, John Morrison), or those who we're starting to see more of (Colin Delaney, Kofi Kingston). Each match was given decent time. The mixed tag-team match, while decent, was strange, as Santino Marella didn't fit in with the other three. I like how Knox focused on Richards' throat. Delaney's comment to Tommy Dreamer about deserving his own entrance music was hilarious, and Delaney's inadvertent headbutt was a great way to have his team win. I expect a title change next week for the underdogs. The Miz getting a crack in on Floyd Mayweather is supposed to further the belief Mayweather can't win. The triple-threat main event was a little strange, as it had more one-on-one action. While it decided Chavo Guerrero's opponent for next week, It almost seemed like an audition for the ECW WM 24 match or the ladder match. At least CM Punk won.

REMINDERS

Memorial funds:

The Nancy and Daniel Benoit Foundation for Battered Women and Abused Children; c/o Decker, Hallman, Barber and Briggs; 260 Peachtree St. Suite 1700; Atlanta, Ga., 30303.

Sports Legacy Institute. Attn: Benoit Family Fund for Brain Injury Research; 230 Third Avenue; Waltham, MA. 02451-7528.

Brian Adams Memorial and Family Fund; Bank of America; 4918 Anniston Circle; Tampa, Fl., 33647.

Lex Luger fundraiser; GT Agency, 1901-B E. Atlantic Bl., Pompano Beach, Fl., 33060 or 954-675-0552.

STATE NEWS

Please remember to send in local news! Schedule is subject to change. For more information on local federations, google their Web sites. This list is compiled from various federation web sites and e-mails to JAWBreaker. Finally, visit wwe.com for more updates in the Central Florida area the next few months:

Weekly event: Florida Championship Wrestling, a WWE developmental territory, will hold a show every Tuesday at Bourbon Street Night Club in New Port Richey.

February 28: FCW, Tampa.

March 1: Pro Wrestling Riot, Port Richey.

March 1: FCW, USA Flea Market, noon.

March 1: FCW, Ricochet Night Club, 8 p.m.

March 1: Hulk Hogan autograph signing, 1-3 p.m., Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee.

March 2: Hulk Hogan autograph signing, 1-3 p.m., Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee.

March 2: Hulk Hogan's nephew David Bollea, MMA debut, St. Petersburg Times Forum.

March 2: FIP, Crystal River (Roderick Strong, Delirious, Nigel McGuinness, The Briscoes, Erick Stevens, Tyler Black).

March 10: TNA Impact tapings, Universal Studios in Orlando.

March 11: TNA Impact tapings, Universal Studios in Orlando.

March 15: SEX, Sebring.

March 15: Lexie Fyfe, McClenny.

March 21: FIP, Melbourne.

March 21: Dolphin Mall, Miami, 4-6 p.m. Jimmy Hart will sign autographs. Pick up a wristband at the Fan Nation Station at the start of each event for a guaranteed Superstar autograph. Limit 200 per day.

March 22, Dolphin Mall, Miami, 1-3 p.m. "Mean" Gene Okerlund will sign autographs. Pick up a wristband at the Fan Nation Station at the start of each event for a guaranteed Superstar autograph. Limit 200 per day.

March 22: FIP, Crystal River.

March 24: TNA Impact tapings, Universal Studios in Orlando (tentative).

March 25: TNA Impact tapings, Universal Studios in Orlando (tentative).

March 27: Live TNA Impact. Universal Studios in Orlando.

March 28: TNA Impact tapings, Universal Studios in Orlando (tentative).

March 28: ROH show, Downtown Rec Center in Orlando (Tammy Sytch autograph session).

March 29: Lexie Fyfe, Palatka.

March 29: ROH show, Downtown Rec Center in Orlando (Tammy Sytch autograph session).

March 29: UXW Pro Wrestling, The Central Florida Fairgrounds Pavilion in Orlando, 2 p.m. (Raven vs. Abdullah the Butcher; The Heartbreak Express with Amy Vitale vs. Bruce Santee and Jon Davis in a double dog collar chain match/double barbed wire bat match and anything goes last man standing match; Disco Inferno vs. The Snowman Raymond Snow).

March 29: WWE Hall of Fame induction ceremony, Amway Arena in Orlando.

March 30: WrestleMania 24, Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

March 31: WWE Monday Night Raw, Amway Arena in Orlando.

April 1: WWE Smackdown/ECW, Miami.

April 5: IWZ, Miami.

April 5: Pro Wrestling, Orlando.

April 5: Bonecrunch Fighting, Sarasota.

April 12: Pro Wrestling Riot, Port Richey.

April 18: FIP.

April 19: FIP, Crystal River.

April 22: UXW, Orlando.

April 23: UXW, Orlando.

May 3: Pro Wrestling Fusion, Port St. Lucie.

May 30: FIP, Crystal River.

May 31: FIP, Arcadia.

June 7: Pro Wrestling Fusion, Port St. Lucie.

July 5: Pro Wrestling Fusion, Port St. Lucie.

August 2: Pro Wrestling Fusion, Port St. Lucie.

- news-journalonline.com

JohnCenaFan28
02-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks for this.