PDA

View Full Version : Melina just wants a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Black Widow
03-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Melina is a World Wrestling Entertainment Women's Champion. She won the championship belt twice in 2007. So she knows wrestling.

For example, she points out, men can't do some of the things the women can. Women fight in different ways. Melina - born Melina Perez - strives for respect not only among the women, but the men as well.

"Females come up to me and they say that I motivate them to become wrestlers," she said. "Women are the harshest critics, so when they say I'm doing a good job, or they admire me or they feel motivated by me, that means a lot."

Melina characterizes herself as one of the "bad girls" of wrestling: a mean villainess. Her biggest competitor is Mickie James and she enjoys any opportunity to give her a thrashing. Her best friend is Jillian Hall and the two share the same styles, views and goals in wrestling.

"I think one of the challenges is it's a male-dominated world and how people see you, not only as female who looks good, but to have people think that of me is awesome, but also being respected as a female wrestler," Melina said.

Melina grew up in Los Angeles, Rancho Cucamonga and Hesperia and currently lives in Kentucky, where she trains.

She started out as a model, and posed in athletic wear for Nike. She also won a California beauty pageant. For fun, she trained in wrestling at Jesse Hernandez's School of Hard Knocks in San Bernardino.

"It was a hobby," Melina said. "It was fun and a just to keep active kind of thing."

She was scouted by wrestler and trainer Tom Pritchard of WWE and tried out, unsuccessfully, for Tough Enough III, but encouraging words from wrestler Al Snow kept her working. Melina went on to make her professional wrestling debut in 2002 and has wrestled in the Empire Wrestling Federation and Crush Wrestling. She made her WWE singles debut in 2005.

Now she's a star in other ways. In December, Columbia Records released "World Wrestling Entertainment Presents Raw Greatest Hits: The Music." It features the theme songs for 17 wrestlers, including Stone Cold Steve Austin, Undertaker, Mr. McMahon, The Rock, Trish Stratus and Mr. Kennedy. Melina was honored with the tune, "Paparazzi," by James Alan Johnson.

"The way I come out, the paparazzi is always out there," Melina said. "I've heard that song so many times, it's just natural now. It reminds me of everything that I've been through. Now, it's like if I don't hear that song, it's just not me."

Melina is also involved in the "Ultimate Quinceanera," an online contest celebrating Ross' 15th anniversary with Mundo television and the WWE. The winner, a Van Nuys resident, won a quinceanera celebration with 50 of her friends. The prize comes with a limo, entertainment and a visit by WWE Superstar Carlito and WWE Diva Melina. Mun2 will document the event and some of will be available for viewing at www. holamun2.com/raw.

"It's great because I'm touching base with my Latino culture," Melina said. "It's good because it shows we're staying involved in this and we're doing something for the girls."

The best place to follow Melina's career is during the WWE matches and through the Web site www.wwe.com. Be sure to check your attitude at the door.

"I just want to thank my fans because even though they considered me a `bad person,' I stand up for myself, I believe in myself, and I'm an independent confident woman," she said. "Why shouldn't I be respected for that?"

pasadenastarnews.com

JohnCenaFan28
03-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the read.