PDA

View Full Version : Jim Ross Talks About Ric Flair And Wrestlemania Weekend And More

Black Widow
03-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Ric Flair, Gordon Solie, Wrestlemania 25, Passion and other random thoughts…
Filed under: Personal, Wrestling — on March 21, 2008

Of all the men and women who have been inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, without question, no one that I have ever interacted with is as excited about the honor as Ric Flair. "Naitch" and I have had several conversations about Wrestlemania weekend and, as he should, Ric is approaching March 29-30 in Orlando as truly a memorable and career defining moment. One might ask, "well, why wouldn’t he?" which is a logical question, but believe it or not I have seen HOFers who were not overwhelmed, perhaps taking the honor for granted or not seriously, about being inducted which I personally cannot fathom. I have also seen wrestlers who seem, at least outwardly, to approach Wrestlemania as just another "day at the office". I would love to be wrong on either of these observations, but I am not, unfortunately, however if a wrestler or any other participant in Wrestlemania doesn’t approach that day and the event with a little extra zip in their step then it is likely that these individuals have chosen the wrong line of work.

Being in the wrestling business has to be about more than simply the money that one can earn if one is both lucky and good. There are too many bumps in the road within the wrestling business, whether it be injuries or illness, creative differences or deficiencies, the never ending challenges of a season-less business that has overwhelming travel demands, and the never ending sagas that many athletes and entertainers have who, all of the sudden, start to make big money and are not emotionally or intellectually prepared to handle their financial affairs.

The passion for the product must exist, in my view, for any performer to maintain one’s productivity and personal happiness because if being in the biz is only about the cash one can earn and a talent can’t get up for events such as Wrestlemania, I sure as hell wouldn’t want them on my team and please stay away from my Oklahoma arse Wrestlemania weekend as I want to be excited and create more lasting memories. At this stage of my career who knows how many Wrestlemanias I may have left as one cannot guarantee tomorrow no matter our vocation? So if any performer is approaching March 29-30 as simply another weekend, please do me a favor and practice your apathy around others and not me.

After over 30 years in the business and certainly with his share of ups and downs including a near career ending broken back as a result of a tragic airplane crash, Ric Flair still has the passion and the zest for life that had made him arguably the greatest in ring performer of all time and is why Ric’s acceptance speech at the WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will likely be one of the most emotional moments in the annals of the event. Due to time restrains, the TV broadcast of Ric’s speech can’t be given its due but I have to believe that the DVD release of the 2008 HOF is going to be a hot seller. I am definitely getting my copy. Naturally, the best way to see the event is in person and tickets for both the Hall of Fame at the Amway Arena and for Wrestlemania at the Citrus Bowl are still available via Ticketmaster.

Personally, I hope we hear the name of Gordon Solie announced this week on WWE TV, preferably on Monday Night Raw, that the "Dean of Wrestling Broadcasters" will be the final inductee into the WWE Hall of Fame this year. Ironically, Lance Russell, the legendary voice of Memphis Wrestling, who I spoke with this week as he turned 82 years young, started calling wrestling action 3 years before Gordon so Lance has graciously allowed his late friend Gordon to "borrow" the moniker of "Dean".

Gordon and yours truly have a great deal in common, inasmuch as how we learned our trade as we both worked full time early on in the local "wrestling office" and had the opportunity to be subjected to the day to day operations of the business and consequently had the chance to learn about the intricacies of the business from the decision makers/owners within our respective companies. Eddie Graham taught Gordon that the wrestlers were the stars of the TV shows and that the announcers should always go the extra mile in building the athletic ability and credibility in the the product and through the spoken word and the pictures to allow the fans at home to "feel" what they were seeing. The total suspension of disbelief that leads to an emotional investment in the product, which is no different than hoop fans are experiencing currently during March Madness, was the ultimate goal for the uniquely talented Solie. Eddie Graham taught his booker, Cowboy Bill Watts, Eddie’s philosophy and when I came along Watts owned his own company and had received, as he called it, his "PHD in Wrestling" from Eddie and I became the beneficiary of the same teachings as Gordon received. Being the first "national voice" of cable TV wrestling on Superstation TBS made Gordon Solie a national, wrestling celebrity but "The Dean" never forgot that the stars of the show were always "the talent". In the process, Gordon Solie, with his Benson & Hedges (and perhaps a touch of vodka at times) induced, gravely and distinctive voice became one of the most significant sounds in the history of the wrestling business. Whether Gordon Solie makes it to the WWE Hall of Fame or not remains to be seen, but in my eyes Gordon Solie, one of my greatest professional influences, is already there.

It will be interesting to see if Mayweather’s Posse and the Big Show’s Posse have cooled off since their last gathering at the river, come this Monday in Columbia, S.C. Some folks have long memories and there is only so much room to go around even in a large arena for an overabundance of alpha males. The locker room area and catering might be an interesting place to hang one’s hat Monday.

Yes, I called the Intercontinental Title "prestigious" Monday night on RAW because that’s how I personally perceive that particular championship, even though I acknowledge that it has not been "featured" on TV in quite some time. I have said here before that the IC Title has great cache and history and could easily be rejuvenated. Until then, I still think it has the tradition to be respected by myself and if some critics think that is "J.R. shilling," then so be it. I also openly shill on this site as I would love to see you buy some of our delicious Bar-B-Q Sauce or an autographed J.R.’s Cookbook.

Is it too early to think about Wrestlemania 25? In my personal perspective, it’s never too early. Everything from Fan Axxcess, the Hall of Fame inductees, and certainly the card for the 2009 event should begin being discussed within the next few weeks, in a perfect world. WM25 is BIG and will happen only once and if, as he has said himself, Stone Cold has "one more match left in him" wouldn’t one think that Wrestlemania 25 would be a viable consideration for such a historic bout? At least it is something to think about. Same goes for the Hall of Fame inductees.

The weather forecast for Wrestlemania 24 in Orlando is a high of 79 degrees with an overnight low of 65 and a 60% chance of isolated thunderstorms during the day, according to Weather.com. Sunset will be 43 minutes after the event starts so the contrast of being outdoors should be a unique experience and add a specialness to the event.

Don’t forget to checkout our Q&A section here on our site as we will be posting new ones frequently. As always, we sincerely appreciate those of you who choose to shop with us and help us maintain our site. (I just shilled again.)

BOOMER SOONER!
J.R.

jrsbarbq.com

JohnCenaFan28
03-22-2008, 09:00 PM
What would be so big about WM25? Anyway, thanks for this.