PDA

View Full Version : Backstage Reaction To Mayweather-show, Money In The Bank Original Plan And More

Black Widow
03-31-2008, 08:19 PM
WWE INVESTIGATING FIREWORKS MISHAP, BACKSTAGE REACTION TO MAYWEATHER-SHOW, MONEY IN THE BANK ORIGINAL PLAN AND MORE

World Wrestling Entertainment officials told Florida's Channel 6 that they were investigating last night's pyrotechnic incident that injured dozens of fans and sent several to the hospital. You can read Channel 6's coverage below:.

WrestleMania Event Described As 'War Zone' After Fireworks Hit Crowd

ORLANDO, Fla. -- About 40 people were injured at Orlando's WrestleMania event Sunday when fireworks and a flaming wire fell into the crowd of 70,000, sending piles of people scrambling for safety.

"The smoke was coming out and it looked like a war zone," crowd member Bryan Bindman said.

An assistant fire chief told Local 6 that at least one wire used for fireworks snapped during WrestleMania's finale and sent the burning wire and fireworks across the Citrus Bowl Stadium.

Fireworks then fell into the crowd.

"Instead of going up they just spiraled into the stands," Bindman said. "There were fireworks just sputtering and rolling around on the stands and people were just scattering all over the place."

"We were right under the rafters near the suites and it came right across our section -- maybe 20 feet ahead of us," fan Bill Kallus said. "We were thinking, 'Is this part of the show or is this an accident?"

Three people were taken to a hospital but their injuries were not considered serious.

WWE officials said they are investigating the incident and said it has never happened before.

The event was expected to bring at least $25 million into the local economy.

local6.com

The backstage word among those I spoke to was that Floyd Mayweather Jr. was raving to everyone about how much fun he had wrestling Big Show last night and would love to come back. The feeling backstage was that the bout was entertaining and both did a great job.

The consensus among everyone seems to be that Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels was the match of the night. I don't know how it came across on television, but I will never forget the site of Ric Flair walking the aisle to the ring as golden fireworks erupted in the background of the stadium. What a truly wonderful moment.

There was a ton of advertising based around the Mayweather-Show match in Orlando over the weekend with ads in different hotels, the Orlando airport and lots of billboards. I didn't see this when I arrived, but Leon Peters sent word that when he arrived, there was a couple wearing red boxing robes and holding up signs that said "WrestleMania XXIV Welcomes You To Orlando". Unique marketing idea.

The original plan for Money in the Bank was indeed to have Jeff Hardy go over, but his suspension obviously changed that. There's been talk of moving Punk to Raw in the last few weeks, but I've heard nothing concrete that they are actually going in that direction yet.

PWInsider.com

Bad Boy
03-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Punk on Raw? I really dont see Punk going for Heavyweight/WWE Title... maybe he will challenge Kane for the ECW title...

deadmanwalkin
03-31-2008, 08:59 PM
i found that ecw championship match quite funny

all kane did was chokeslam him and that was it

wedge
03-31-2008, 09:26 PM
I'd like to see Punk go to Raw. He'd be good to feud with Orton for a month or two, while Cena is filming his movie and Hunter grows less stale. Many people at the bar where I saw 'Mania were openly crying during the Flair match. It was an awesome visual watching him walk back after the match. Much of the crowd was bowing and the fireworks, etc.
The Big Show/Mayweather match was better than I though it would be and seemed slightly believable.
Good to hear that there were no major injuries due to the firework mishap.

JohnCenaFan28
03-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Punk/Orton feud would be good...Thanks for this.

mikedudelang
03-31-2008, 10:42 PM
i'd rather see punk going for the i.c. belt. i just don't care about the guy enough to have him in the world title mix.

but i think a mix of punk, shelton benjamin, carlito, jeff hardy (if and when he returns) and y2j would make the i.c. belt mean something again.