PDA

View Full Version : Edge loves the hectic wrestling lifestyle-Interview

JohnCenaFan28
05-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Canadian wrestling superstar Edge worked crowds into a frenzy last weekend during shows at the Aitken University Centre and Saint John's Harbour Station.

HE’S GOT A GOOD GRASP OF THE BUSINESS: Wrestling superstar Edge is shown in the above promotional photo provided by the WWE. Edge said his favourite road food is Tim Hortons chili and he’s not a fan of having to do two shows

Edge, born Adam Copeland, hails originally from Orangeville, Ont., but once lived in Moncton while wrestling on the Atlantic Grand Prix circuit.

Edge spoke with reporter Adam Bowie before last weekend's performances about the bumps and bruises, the rants and roars, and what wrestler has the best road stories.

Q: Since you're never home, I'm not going to bother asking you what three things you have in your fridge. Tell me your three favourite meals on the road.

A: Our meals are usually pretty boring. It always depends on what time we get out of the show and what we can find. It's probably going to be Tim Hortons ... I've always enjoyed Tim Hortons chili. So after the shows, I'll probably be eating it at midnight. Whoever's travelling with me won't really like me too much.

Q: How many times have you been to Fredericton?

A: I've been here many times. I actually wrestled for Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling before I made it to the WWE. I lived in Moncton and I've wrestled all around that territory. If you look at any small town on the eastern seaboard, or throughout the Maritimes, I was there.

I was really just cutting my teeth and getting my experience wherever I could. I went out there and it was seven days a week and any time you can get that as an aspiring wrestler, that's what you want to do. I was also wrestling Bad News Brown every night, so I was gaining so much experience.

Those days were a great experience for me. It was a horrible ring, but it taught me how to work around certain things. When you get in a ring and you don't know if it's going to be upright by the time you're done, you figure out ways to still have an entertaining match. I think that ring went back probably to Andre The Giant when he went through there.

Q: You're usually in the headlining match these days. What does it feel like walking out to the ring for the main event?

A: It's great because I feel completely confident in going out there last ... It feels really good to know that however many thousand people that are there (have) paid good money to boo you. They want to see you get beat tonight.

That's the case about 99 per cent of the time, but we'll have to see at these shows. It always seems like Canada is one big hometown for me. Whether it's Fredericton or whether it's Victoria, they like to take me on as their own.

Q: How do you deal with the bumps and bruises?

A: (These shows will be different) because when you see some place that's really far to get to in the first place, you're travelling all day to get to the show. As soon as you land, it's straight to the show and, if you've got any aches and pains or stiffness from the plane, you better work them out quick because you're going to be in the ring in about two hours.

Q: You're doing two shows in a day this weekend. How hard is that?

A: Yeah, I'm not going to lie. It's been a while since we did (two in one day). When I first started with the WWE, that was the norm. Every Sunday we'd be doing double-shots. A lot of times it was do a show, get on a flight and fly to the next show. Get in at showtime and head straight to the arena and throw on your gear which is still wet from the first match. That's the worst part, the wet gear.

Q: You came into wrestling at an interesting time. You were there to watch the legends pass the torch to a newer generation of wrestlers.

A: It was a huge growth period for the industry. The business was changed, not only in the aspect of legends retiring and new guys making headway, but it changed in the way that our shows were written, in the way that storylines were done, and there's a whole attitude there now and it's a lot more risqué.

Q: Who had the best road stories?

A: They all do. I've been so blessed in that respect. Coming up I was trained by Sweet Daddy Siki and Ron Hutchison, who gave me so much insight into what I could expect. There hasn't been anything thrown at me that has thrown me off because they prepared me. They trained me properly, but also life on the road and what you can expect ... From there and as I'm coming up, I'm wrestling Bad News Brown, whose stories were amazing. You could sit on a six-hour drive together and he would have us just enthralled. Even if we'd heard that story four times before, just the way he told it made it entertaining.

Source: Dailygleaner