PDA

View Full Version : Ex-WWE stars to headline event

Black Widow
06-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Marty Jannetty is picky when deciding which independent professional wrestling organizations he works with.
Advertisement

When Andrew D'Arcy of Blue Water Championship Wrestling calls, however, it's a no-brainer.

"I've worked with Blue Water Championship several times. They're one of the few groups I'll work with on the independent scene," said the former WWE superstar. "They're a real class act.

"Everybody knows about them. You don't even have to know who's on the card. I'd say Blue Water is one of the top three or four independents in the country."

Jannetty will headline BWCW's SummerSmash 2008 on Friday at The Arc of St. Clair County, 1033 26th St., in Port Huron. The event is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m., and also includes former WWE superstar Zach Gowen.

Tickets for the limited
seating event are $15 and can be purchased by calling the Arc at (810) 982-3261 or D'Arcy at (810) 357-6057 or at www.bwcwstars.com.

"If I was personally a fan, if I could step out of the box for a second," D'Arcy said. "I'd love every minute of it."

It's the first of two shows BWCW will have at the Arc this summer, the second on July 31. That will feature Gowen and "The Masterpiece" Chris Masters.

Jannetty broke into the then-WWF in the mid-1980s as one half of the tag team The Rockers. He and partner Shawn Michaels never won a tag title, but were one of the most popular teams in the WWF.

"Shawn and I had come over from (the American Wrestling Association) and it was overwhelming to walk into the arena (for the first time)," Jannetty said. "It was, 'Wow, what did we just step into.'"

Jannetty -- who now is trying his hand at acting as well -- has been in and out of the WWE in recent years. His most recent appearance was at the 15th anniversary Monday Night RAW show.

He said he's been to Port Huron before and enjoyed his time.

"It's always a pleasure to mingle with the fans, and that's another thing, Michigan fans are always real cool," Jannetty said.

Gowen, 25, had a quick rise to the WWE, signing a 3-year contract with the company in 2003. He stayed in the WWE for one year.

He lost his left leg to cancer when he was eight years old, and said he can wrestle with or without his prosthetic leg.

"I'm the only one in the world that wrestles with one leg," Gowen said. "I'm very fortunate to be able to make my living as a pro wrestler with a handicap."

thetimesherald.com