PDA

View Full Version : Reporting ain't all hard work

Black Widow
06-16-2008, 06:07 PM
ONCE in a while as a sports reporter you get to go to a media session and don’t have to worry about the demands of the job, but just have fun.

Last Wednesday at the Warriors was one of those days.

The Warriors were visited by famous WWE professional wrestlers, MVP, Natalya and CM Punk, who were in town on a tour.

The wrestlers were greeted with a passionate haka led by Warriors veteran Wairangi Koopu before they put on the glamour and charm for reporters.

To be honest, I’m not a wrestling fan, so I knew nothing about the athletic actors I was about to talk to. But I’m telling you, I do now.

They weren’t embarrassed to talk themselves up, especially MVP, which stands for Montel Vontavious Porter.

“MVP’s about making money and having a good time. I just love living life. I love what I do. I get to tour the world and hang out with other world-class athletes,” said MVP, when asked what he’s all about.

It’s the second time MVP has hit our shores. He now understands the difference between rugby and league but still doesn’t understand why our players don’t wear helmets and pads, as do American Football players.

“The game here looks good, but the no pads thing, that’s bad business.”

Could he make it in league?

“Do I think I could play it? Of course I could play it,” said MVP, looking at me like it was a foolish question.

But he surprises when praising another, our very own Ruben Wiki.

“In all seriousness, the physicality of this sport blows my mind. Just to see Ruben, who has played this game for 13 years and is still at the top of his game, is amazing. I take my hat off to him and I don’t do that very often.”

Despite the fun and games of wrestling, MVP also mentions that the rough ’n tumble is what got him off the streets.

“It’s saved my life. I got out of prison, got into wrestling and it became my passion. If I hadn’t become a professional wrestler I would probably be back in prison, or on the streets which is a dead end.”

The other WWE star creating a lot of attention, and more for her looks than anything else, was the beautiful Natalya. And what does the Canadian-born diva think of Kiwi men?

“Sexy. I was asked earlier if I was single and right now my status is ‘to be determined’ because after I watched the guys do the haka I was very impressed,” laughed Natalya.

All of a sudden I spot her eyeing me up. I think it’s probably best that I put her out of her misery, so I say to her: “Okay, I don’t normally do this, but I’ll let you give me one on the cheek, but only one, no more than that.”

Then as photographer Wayne Martin snaps the picture of her kissing me, the camera’s flash woke me from a short daydream and then I realised it wasn’t me saying, “I don’t normally do this”. It was her saying it to me!

Give me a break. I’m a Kiwi man too. I’m allowed to dream!

times.co.nz