PDA

View Full Version : Saboor joining WWE, will leave Central Florida Sports Commission in early August

Black Widow
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM
John Saboor announced Monday that he will leave his position as Central Florida Sports Commission president in early August to take a job as World Wrestling Entertainment's senior vice president for special events.

Saboor, who joined the commission in 1994 and became its president two years ago, helped lure this year's WrestleMania 24 to Orlando's Citrus Bowl.

"This is over a third of my life spent here at the sports commission, and this is not a decision that came easily for me," Saboor said. "But Vince McMahon and the senior staff at WWE have really set the bar high in the world of sports and entertainment. For me, it came down to this being a terrific chance to work with him and other senior staff to plan for the placement for their platinum events years in advance."

Saboor, 42, said he will continue to live in the Orlando area and that he hopes to convince WWE decision-makers to bring other marquee events to the city.

"John's role with the Central Florida Sports Commission brought one of the most internationally recognized events -- WrestleMania -- to Orlando," the city's mayor, Buddy Dyer, said in a statement provided to the Sentinel.

"While his contributions to the Central Florida region will be missed, after seeing John's talent and passion firsthand, I am not surprised that WWE wanted to add John to its roster of superstars."

As commission president, Saboor was charged with oversight of the day-to-day operations, as well as the attraction and retention of key relationships that produced more than 500 events and created more than $370 million of new economic impact for the region. He was recognized in July as one of the "Top 25 Innovators and Influencers in Amateur Sports" by SportsEvents Magazine.

"It is certainly disappointing for the CFSC to lose such a tremendous talent in John Saboor," said commission Chairwoman Kathy Milthorpe. "His strategic vision and tireless dedication to growing sports and entertainment events in Central Florida has elevated this region to national prominence. We appreciate his extraordinary leadership and wish him the very best in his new opportunity with WWE."

orlandosentinel.com