PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hardy Interview - Enjoying Run As ECW Champ

JohnCenaFan28
12-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Matt Hardy is coming home tonight. And he’s bringing World Wrestling Entertainment with him.

The popular ECW world champion, a Carolina boy whose home is 230 miles away in Cameron, N.C., will defend his crown in one of the top matches on WWE’s Smackdown/ECW brand show at the North Charleston Coliseum.

“I love it anytime we’re in North Carolina or South Carolina,” says Hardy. “One — because I’ll probably drive in from home that day. Two — because I’ll probably drive back home that night. It’s nice to be at home in your own bed.”

Hardy adds he also loves the Carolinas because of the tremendous fan base he and his brother, Jeff, have in this area.

“The fans in North Carolina and South Carolina are so good for me. They know that’s how I am. I’m born and bred that way. I’m definitely Carolina at heart. It’s such a pretty area down there. It’s a great show for me because I have a lot of fun doing it and I’m not far from home.”

Hardy also is excited about having a chance to work with promising newcomer Jack Swagger on tonight’s show which kicks off at 5 p.m.

Swagger, whose real name is Jake Hager, has solid athletic credentials. He was recruited to the University of Oklahoma as a two-sport athlete — a defensive tackle in football and a heavyweight wrestler who set the single-season record for most pins at 30 in 2006.

“It’s a little something different,” Hardy says of his match with the 6-4, 260-pound Swagger. “For me it’s always fun to have a variety of opponents. But that’s actually the first weekend I’ll be getting in the ring with Jack Swagger. I’m excited about that. I think Jack’s got a lot of potential. It should be a good, tough match for me.”

No less than Jim Ross shared Hardy’s sentiments in a recent blog:

“Jack Swagger, really nice name, is the real deal and, as legend has it, never lost a street fight while attending Oklahoma University where he came as a two-sport, full-scholarship athlete. Swagger will someday be an ECW champion, or hold other gold, and is likely a year away from getting his chance to be a regular, contributing member of the main-event society within the WWE, but make no mistake that this young man is a keeper.”

It’s been an exciting year for the 34-year-old Hardy. As U.S. heavyweight champ he was sent to the ECW brand in June during the 2008 WWE draft. He captured the ECW heavyweight title months later when he also earned the distinction of becoming the first performer in WWE history to win a championship scramble match.

Hardy says he’s having “a lot of fun” being ECW champ and took it as a challenge when he was drafted from Smackdown to ECW.

“No one knew where they were going to end up,” Hardy recalls of the draft. “When Jeff came to Smackdown (from Raw), it was pretty cool because we thought we’d get to travel together. It was a shock to him. But it made me think that I was going to Raw because they’d want us on separate brands in a singles capacity.”

Although the weaker of the three brands, ECW has given Hardy a platform to shine as a singles star.

“I really was happy about going to ECW. Anytime I am given anything, it’s exciting. It’s something I can sink my teeth into and make the most out of. It was the same with ECW. My first goal there was to try to become the ECW champion and to make it mean as much as possible and put some equity into it.”

Hardy says he has especially enjoyed working with such performers as Evan Bourne, Fit Finlay and former champ Mark Henry.

“I feel like I’ve gotten some of the best matches out of Mark that he’s had in his entire career. WWE has really been behind it, and I think they’ve been happy with my effort behind it. I just think I have a long way to go. I’m just starting out, and it’s getting better and better.”

Hardy feels that his unique style, in addition to the tutelage veteran star Tony Atlas has provided Henry, has only helped improve the strongman’s stock.

“It’s pretty interesting wrestling Mark and having Tony out there interfering, and then having to drop this old-timer (Atlas) with the Twist of Fate. Tony Atlas is definitely a character. And having come to ECW has really rejuvenated Mark. I think Mark’s been working real hard. He’s definitely very believable in the role he plays as far as being a killer and a strong guy. For him it’s worked well working with me because I feel like I get the most out of people when I get in the ring with them.”

Hardy hyperextended and tore some ligaments in his surgically repaired left knee on the company’s recent European tour. He gutted it out through a couple of TV matches following the injury. Hardy wrapped and iced his knee to get it prepared for a 15-minute match with Shelton Benjamin on Smackdown.

“What do you do? You wrap it up and go,” he says, admitting he was in excruciating pain the entire time.

But Hardy stresses that he’s responsible as far as treating his bumps and bruises.

“I do what I need to do as far as icing and heating, and giving the treatment it needs. It’s one those things. It comes with the territory. If you’re a professional wrestler and you work a tough schedule like we do, you’re going to get hurt. It’s one of those things where you can’t sweat it. You just have to understand that there’s going to be an injury, and you have to learn how to treat it and deal with it and get through it.”

While Matt is enjoying his success in ECW, brother Jeff has been on a roller-coaster ride the past couple of years on the Raw and Smackdown sides, where he has seemingly been on the verge of capturing major WWE titles on a couple of occasions, only to have out-of-the-ring problems spoil the plans.

Jeff Hardy, one of the most popular and capable performers on the WWE roster, was suspended last March for his second violation of the company’s wellness policy. One more suspension would mean termination.

Matt, however, says his brother remains undeterred.

“I really don’t think it’s affected him that much, because he’s Jeff and he doesn’t let things bother him that much,” says Matt. “I think these days Jeff gets a bad rap for some of these things, because Jeff is really good and he’s in a great place in his life. There was a time, if you go back to 2003, had you asked me if I was worried about Jeff, I would have told you that I really was worried about Jeff. Now I have zero worries about him.”

“It’s one those things where Jeff is a totally free spirit, and Jeff has to live thorough a set of rules,” adds his older brother. “For example, whenever he wrestled Triple H in the first match, there was a spot where Jeff pulled out of the ring to do a front flip dive on Hunter, and Hunter moved, and Jeff hit the floor. I remember thinking, ‘Wow, do you think you’re going to be able to finish that match?’ But Jeff was fine. It’s no big deal for him to take some kind of huge risk, and he really doesn’t worry about the consequences. Sometimes in life that’s how it is. It’s hard for him to live in a system to a degree. But Jeff is actually doing real well right now.”

Hardy thinks his brother eventually will get a title run.

“I think WWE will pull the trigger on him. I hope they do because it’s something he totally deserves. He’s sacrificed his body and everything he has for the professional wrestling/sports entertainment business through WWE. I think it’ll happen sooner rather than later. Jeff has really grown up and matured a lot inside.”

Although the two rarely get the chance these days to team up, the brothers have left an indelible mark on tag-team wrestling. The daredevil Hardy Boyz, six-time holders of the WWE tag title, perfected the art of sacrificing their own bodies to entertain the fans.

“I definitely think we’ll be the first team I can think of who were an extremely talented tag team within the confines of WWE and who were real brothers who went on to both become legitimate world champs,” says Hardy.

Hardy has come a long way from a much-publicized romantic triangle involving former girlfriend Lita (Amy Dumas) and former best friend Edge (Adam Copeland). His six-year relationship with Dumas ended when she had an affair with Copeland in 2005. When the split became public, the writers made the heartbreak a major storyline.

“We don’t talk that often, but we get along fine,” says Hardy, who still considers Dumas a friend. “It’s just one of those things. Anything that happened in the past, whether it’s mistakes that I commit or problems that I encounter, you just have to look back and see what was wrong, but we need to correct this and make sure it never happens again.

“She’s doing OK. I talk to her every so often. We’re friendly and get along. It’s all good. You can’t sit back and hold on to something forever. It’s bad on you. It’s going to affect you going forward.”

The high-flying Hardy has had his share of bumps and bruises during his career, but says he hopes he can work on a full-time basis for at least another few years.

“I definitely can see myself in the ring for another four or five years. My body is pretty good. I think I’ve got a lot of things left to do. I’m very honored and very proud to be ECW champion, but my goal is to become the world heavyweight champion and even the WWE heavyweight champion. I’m sure ECW is not going to be where I finish out my career. I think there a lot of things left for me to do here, and I would even like to start contributing more behind the scenes to help out some of the newer guys and younger guys just because I’m at a point in my career where I can do that. I just signed a new contract, so I’m going to be around for a little while.”

A student of the game, Hardy also would like to see WWE characters get more time on TV — even if it means less matches.

“I know what the intentions of the people who put together the television shows are. And that’s to try and get as many people as you can on a show and try to get all the personalities out there and give them a little ring time. Sometimes I think we almost try to put too much on one show. One thing I do like about ECW is that usually you’ll have one or two matches where you have time to go out and tell a story and get emotionally involved in a storyline. Sometimes it’s better to give a match more time or one story more time and maybe not try and jam everyone on one show.”

Source: Charleston

ryanasd
12-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the info

DUKE NUKEM
12-09-2008, 07:30 AM
thanks for this Eel