PDA

View Full Version : JBL Comments On A-Rod Taking A Banned Substance & More

JohnCenaFan28
02-12-2009, 05:04 AM
John "Bradshaw" Layfield has a new blog online on the WWE Universe website. In it, he comments on New York Yankees Third baseman Alex Rodriguez admitting to taking a band substance. Below are the blog highlights:

- So Alex Rodriguez took a banned substance, does that surprise anyone? Now, I have to be clear-I am 100% against steroids, 100% against drugs. I am thrilled that WWE is a leader in testing. I don't say that because I work for them, I say that because I am thrilled that the temptation to take drugs to look better or perform better was taken away by WWE's strict drug policy.

- I also want to say I am 100% for testing in college and even high school. I think the problem with drugs is something that has to be stopped, or at least curtailed. I know you can't stop it, but you can sure make it harder and make it where it is not acceptable or legal.

- I am very glad that when I was trying to get back into shape to make a return to the ring that drugs was not an option, because if it had been an option-I would have been tempted to go to a doctor (which you can do easily at my age) and get a prescription for testosterone or other drug and take a short cut. Because, getting into shape after getting so out of shape was tough, and still is. Taking the option of drugs out of the equation was a great thing the WWE did.

- A-Rod didn't break baseball's rules. Baseball is at fault for creating an environment that allowed this to happen. WWE and the NFL didn't let that environment exist, and I think that has saved lives. Baseball turned a blind eye to it until recently.

- Think about this-after the stupid strike that almost ruined baseball, fans were indifferent to the game. Along comes Sosa and McGwire in a historic home run race that brought tens of thousands of fans not only back to the game, but to batting practice! These guys brought fans back to the game. Allegedly, they took steroids; however, it was not against the rules. And, if they went to a doctor they got them legally, if in fact, they did take them.

- How can you fault someone for doing something that is not against the rules (if in fact, they did do it) and is legal? Are you telling me Babe Ruth wouldn't have done that? Of course, he would have?

- Baseball is at fault. These guys took stuff that wasn't against the rules and if they got it through a doctor was not illegal. How is that wrong? I believe it wasn't.

- Now, if you take it you are cheating because the rules now prohibit it. I am happy for that, I think they should test. However, I am not so hypocritical to vilify these guys for doing what was legal. Baseball should devote a wing in the Hall of Fame to McGwire and Sosa for saving the game.

- Some argue integrity of the game; you got to be kidding me. Integrity, how many of the guys have been busted on drugs and aberrant behavior? And, the only people you choose to vilify are guys who didn't break the rules? This is political spin at its worst. The head honchos in baseball loved the long ball, it brought fans to the game, I would argue that they allowed this to happen through their complacency. Now, they want to pass the heat.

- A-Rod stood up and took responsibility for doing something that was not against the rules and he is called a liar and cheat. Baseball has not stood up and admitted that they allowed this to exist, and I would argue-by not testing, encouraged it.

- A-Rod mentioned that the environment back then was such that this behavior was acceptable. This is true, because the environment of wrestling when I broke into it was the same. The movie "The Wrestler" was very accurate to portray the business I started in, it was a different world then just as A-Rod stated it was in baseball.

- But as North Dallas Forty was indicative of the NFL before the drug testing was initiated, so was "The Wrestler" indicative of professional wrestling before drug testing. And, the environment A-Rod talked about truly was different as well from what I understand.

- Talk about change, I have been tested for drugs, AIDS, high cholesterol, concussions; you name it in the past 6 months alone. WWE has made sure it has created an environment that is healthy, just as the NFL has done and baseball started doing a few years ago. I think all of this is great for the sports and for entertainment.

- But, please, someone place the blame where it belongs-baseball is at fault here for what happened, they allowed it to happen and somewhere down the road the players who took stuff that was allowed under the rules are not to blame. Now, if the players do it they are breaking the rules-but when you aren't educated to the dangers, and most weren't-you got to lay off these guys and go after the source-and that is baseball itself.

Click here ( http://fans.wwe.com/jbl/blog/2009/02/10/my_thoughts_on_arod_and_baseball) to read JBL's blog in its entirety.