PDA

View Full Version : Animal Unleashed: The Batista Interview

JohnCenaFan28
03-05-2009, 11:57 PM
There is no single athlete who stands more intimidating than the “Animal” Batista. Imagine how I felt next to this 6’6”, nearly 300-pound man with muscles bulging from everywhere. The image of me getting Batista Bombed like I was a feather pillow played through my head a few times. Then, we sat down and talked. And suddenly this giant of a man, who looks like he could crush my skull, seemed a lot more human. He was soft-spoken, honest, humble and even funny. Batista maybe an “animal” in the ring, but outside the ring, Dave Batista is just as human as you and I.

PHILIPPINE STAR: Tell us about growing up in Washington. What was that like?

BARISTA: You know, I have great memories. We were really, really poor. But all my memories as a kid are… good. They were rough times, though, There was a lot of violence. Not as bad as it now, though. But I have really fond memories.

How much of who you are now is because of growing up poor?

I think almost all of who I am now is because of it. I’ve never lost touch with that poor little kid inside. That’s why I always tell people sometimes that this is all overwhelming for me. Sometimes I’m a little introverted and I don’t know how to deal with it. This is who I am. I haven’t changed.

What made you decide that wrestling was what you wanted to do for a living?

Originally, I was looking to make some money. I’m sorry, but to be honest, I didn’t really appreciate it or fall in love with it until after my first tryout. When I first tried out, it was so hard and it was so challenging. It wasn’t at all what I thought it was going to be. I just kind of developed a passion for it.

How old were you when you first tried out?

I think I was 29.

So what were you doing before you tried out?

I was working as a bouncer and a bodyguard.

Any famous clients?

I did a little bodyguard work for Jaime Foxx, Billy Idol, Mark Wahlberg when he was still Marky Mark (and the Funky Bunch).

How much of the Batista we see on television is the Batista of real life?

Pretty much who I am on TV is who I am in person. Except, you know, I don’t have an extremely bad temper. But I’m definitely not a pushover. Even sometimes, you can tell, if they put a microphone in my hands, it still is absolutely terrifying. It really is. I was a really shy and introverted kid. I had a real bad phobia of public speaking.

So how did you get over your shyness?

I didn’t! It’s who I am. It’s part of my character. You can’t really change your character.

You are very intense when you’re inside the ring. Is there anything else apart from wrestling where you are as intense?

I’m very driven and committed to everything I do. Obviously, with my weight training and my martial arts training, I love to do it.

How much discipline and commitment does it take to be and maintain yourself as a WWE Superstar?

It’s all about commitment. You really can’t do what we do if you don’t love it and have a passion for it. Really, it’s a hard-knock life. Some of the guys aren’t as fortunate in terms of the money they’re making. It’s hard. Even for myself. I really didn’t start making a good living until 2005 when I was World Heavyweight Champion. It’s one of those things where you really have to be on the grind and you have to pay your dues. It’s a hard-knock life. There’s really nothing glamorous about it.

Speaking of a hard-knock life, what’s your workout regimen like? How do you maintain this physique of yours despite being on the road day in and day out?

I just work out whenever I can. Like, for example, I spent 24 hours trying to get here and this morning, when I opened up my windows, I saw a big Gold’s Gym. So I went over there, got a quick workout, came back, ate real quick, got a quick shower and here I am.

Do you work out every day, 365 days a year?

I probably would if I could. (Laughs)

When can we expect you back? I know you’re currently nursing an injury.

I don’t know. I think I’ll be physically ready to come back pretty soon.

The first time you came over here, you were welcomed like a prince. How does it feel to get this kind of welcome?

Very strange. And it wasn’t just because (it was a warm welcome). I get a lot of warm welcomes in a lot of places all over the world. It wasn’t so much like a warm welcome as it was like I was welcomed home. That was just incredible. Americans are just so diverse, so multi-cultural, that we sometimes lose touch with our heritage. So I’ve never really experienced anything like it.

Tell us about your tattoo. The one with the Greek flag and the Philippine flag.

All my tattoos are very personal. I was just always really proud of being Filipino and Greek. And I get asked all the time what nationality I am. People guess Italian, Spanish and every once in a while people think I’m Middle Eastern. (The tattoo) is just one of those things that’s a bold statement of what my heritage is. I’m very proud of it.

What’s in store for Batista at Wrestlemania?

I don’t know. Honestly. And that’s an honest answer. I think I’ll be physically ready to go by that time but Wrestlemania is our biggest show of the year and we really build up for it. The storylines are built up for Wrestlemania. Without much time to be built up with a storyline, I don’t think I’ll be fortunate enough to be a part of it.

Have you seen The Wrestler? If so, what did you think of it?

Yeah. I thought it was depressing as hell. Just because…I’ve seen that person. A lot of times. It’s heartbreaking to see old wrestlers who weren’t as fortunate as the superstars of today. We can make a good living today and make enough money to last us the rest of our lives. They didn’t have it as good in the past. They weren’t part of, you know, a publicly traded company making billions of dollars. But they did it because they were passionate about it and they loved it and they went on the grind and they gave up their families. And a lot of time, they don’t have anything to show for it except for those scars. It’s heartbreaking.

A lot of The Wrestler was about somebody continuing to wrestle past his prime. You are at your prime. You’re still peaking. Have you made any plans for the future, after the WWE?

There are things I’m interested in. I really love entertaining people. I’ll always be a wrestler at heart. I’ve done a bit of television. I would love to do some movies. I’m really big on superheroes and I’d love to do a superhero movie from something like Marvel Comics. You can’t wrestle forever. I’m very aware of that. I’ve had a few injuries. Pretty bad injuries. And I just turned 40 this past January. I’m not looking past that. I have at least another year in me. I’m not going to look past that. I’m going to finish this year strong.

What’s in store for the WWE fans here in the Philippines?

Actually, Smackdown! is doing a live show here on July 10, which hopefully I will be a part of. I’m going to beg and plead to be on the show. Like I said, I’m not looking past this year as far as my career goes so…this maybe a farewell match for me. We’ll make that happen.

How about for WWE on Jack TV?

Wrestlemania is coming up. I believe it’s airing here on April 6. Like I said, it’s the biggest show of the year. There’s just something magical about Wrestlemania.

Source: PhilStar