PDA

View Full Version : Show sees faithful WWE flock

Black Widow
03-16-2009, 04:39 PM
In the world of wrestling, every hero needs a villain.

But the biggest villains Sunday weren't in the ring at San Angelo Coliseum.

They weren't even in the building.

"We don't mention them," said Abbey Multer, 14, wearing an "I [heart] Wrestling" T-shirt and counting her mother among a group she called "the 'u' word."

The "u" stands for "unbelievers," and there were few to be found Sunday in a jam-packed coliseum, where nearly 4,800 screaming, booing, costumed fans greeted a dozen WWE wrestlers.

It may be called professional, but is it real?

Of course it is.

"It's all real," Abbey said. "Everything else is fake, but WWE is real."

Abbey, her father and several cousins drove in from Rowena for the event, a family get-together spawned from the shared passion of two older cousins.

They watch the WWE every Monday night on TV, then talk about it the next day in school. They congregate for pay-per-view events, either at one person's home or in San Angelo at Buffalo Wild Wings.

"It's age-old," said Tony Multer, Abbey's father. "Everybody's into it."

The fans certainly were into it Sunday, booing on cue as villains such as speedo-sporting tag team Legacy entered the arena, and howling in outrage when they somehow managed to defeat Prime Time, which was clearly the favorite.

Most, however, eagerly awaited the top-billed wrestlers - Rey Mysterio, Kane and Shawn Michaels - but were obviously displeased when Michaels was an unexpected no-show.

"I almost cried," said Valerie Albarado, 17, and one of the many Multer cousins. "We almost left - almost. Right now, Shawn Michaels is not my favorite."

Rey Mysterio, on the other hand, received plenty of love.

Mark Hernandez, 11, brought a sign welcoming Mysterio - whose signature weapon is known as a 619 - to the 325 area code. His cousin, Laura Limon, brought her own sign, with Mysterio's name enclosed in hearts.

"He's my first husband," Laura, 14, said. "'Cause he's gorgeous."

Anticipation was high leading up to the event - lines started an hour before the doors opened at 4 p.m. and stretched from the coliseum's front doors to East 43rd Street. Cars waiting to get into the parking lot backed onto North Chadbourne Street.

Inside, fans discussed the moves they most wanted to see from their costumed heroes: the 619, or Shawn Michaels' sweet chin music, or Kane kicking another wrestler in the face.

"If he did, I think I'd cry," Valerie said. "I'm getting goosebumps. Oh my gosh, I've got goosebumps!"

The marks of a true believer.

gosanangelo.com

DUKE NUKEM
03-16-2009, 04:41 PM
thanks for the read Ryan