PDA

View Full Version : Walcott agrees new Arsenal deal

lɐuǝɯo⊥ǝɥԀ
05-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Winger Theo Walcott has signed a new long-term contract at Arsenal.

The 20-year-old has become a regular fixture in the starting XI this season having joined the north London club from Southampton in January 2006.

"Theo is an intelligent player and has developed well this season," manager Arsene Wenger told the club website.

Walcott added: "I'm delighted to have signed a new long-term deal. I'm so happy here and just want to say thanks to everyone who has helped me."

After a promising start to the season, Walcott dislocated his shoulder in November which kept him out of action until April.

Despite the setback, the London-born forward has made 32 appearances during the campaign and scored six goals.

"Together with the belief of my team mates, the boss and everyone on the staff, everyone has got behind me here at Arsenal which is brilliant," added Walcott.

"It's fantastic to work with the best manager in the world and play at Emirates Stadium, which is an unbelievable place to play in. I just want to continue playing my football at this club and look forward to many successful seasons ahead."

Arsenal told BBC Sport they would not reveal the "specific details" of the new deal.

Walcott became Southampton's youngest-ever first-team player when he came on as a substitute against Wolves at the age of 16 years and 143 days.

His prodigious talents attracted the attention of a host of Premier League clubs, including Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool, before Walcott eventually opted for Arsenal in a deal worth £12.5m.

Walcott made his Premier League debut against Aston Villa in August 2006 and made his first league start against Watford two months later before grabbing his first goal against Chelsea in the 2007 League Cup final.

The winger's international career has fluctuated between senior and under-21 level ever since he was a surprise inclusion in Sven-Goran Eriksson's 2006 World Cup squad.

The highlight of his England career to date was the three goals he scored against Croatia in last September's World Cup qualifier - becoming the youngest England player to score a hat-trick.

BBC SPORT