PDA

View Full Version : CM Punk talks about rumors, Misawa, and more

John
06-25-2009, 06:18 PM
MyDesert.com has an interview up with WWE World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk. Here are some of the highlights.

On the advantages of the live WWE house show events:
"We're saddled with constraints when on television — the biggest one being time and commercials breaks,” he said. “But when you're live, you don't worry about that, especially the crowd in the first five rows. You can get personal with them and draw them into the action."

On what the "CM" in CM Punk stands for:
"The most commonly given answer is “Chick Magnet. It clearly stands for champion material."

On his dream opponent in the ring:
"For a long period of time, Harley Race was the best wrestler in world. Talk about a guy who back then, even now, he just gets it. He knew what his job was and he went out and did it. He's probably the toughest wrestler who ever lived. I'm also good friends with him. He's a sweetheart. But yeah, if I could pick one guy, it'd be Harley. He's someone I want to wrestle and never will wrestle. I think he was just like the best wrestler in the world for almost a decade."

His thoughts on wrestling web sites and rumors online:
"I don't really peruse the wrestling Web sites. If you believe all the bad stuff, the rumors, it kinda tends to bring you down. I think the obvious one is I'm always in trouble and I'm always in the dog house. I always get a kick out of that one. I think that's been constant for three years now; (that) I'm in trouble, I pissed somebody off."

On the passing of Mitsuharu Misawa:
"I was pretty devastated. I don't think I could have been a bigger fan of the guy. I was a big fan of all the All Japan wrestlers from the '80s and '90s. I'm a huge Jumbo Tsuruta fan, always got a kick out of Giant Baba ... all the All Japan guys from the '90s. I don’t know if I can say I grew up watching, like, Roddy Piper, but those are definite - just the style they portrayed in Japanese wrestling was followed over in Japan so rapidly. It just made me a huge fan of the styles and the guys. (Misawa’s) one of the true legends of the sport. Being 46 years old, he obviously died way too early."

Kage
06-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks.

Black Widow
06-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Living a straight-edge lifestyle, CM Punk doesn't believe in drinking alcohol or doing drugs.
Advertisement

But don't mind him if he kicks you or, even worse, uses his finishing move, the “Go To Sleep,” in which he lifts you over his head and jams his knee into your face on your way down.

Besides, that's only some of what you may see when the Chicago native and current World Champion brings his repertoire and fellow World Wrestling Entertainment Superstars to the Palm Springs Convention Center on July 2.

As part of the company's Summerslam Tour, about 20 members of the Smackdown and ECW rosters are set to do battle in the squared circle.

It's not Punk's first time visiting Palm Springs, although he can't remember the last time he was here.

“It's sunny over there, isn't it?” the 30-year-old said during a recent phone interview from his Chicago home.

The show won't be televised, but fans may see more than what they usually find on the CW Network on Friday nights and Sci-Fi Network on Tuesday evenings, Punk said.

“We're saddled with constraints when on television — the biggest one being time and commercials breaks,” he said. “But when you're live, you don't worry about that, especially the crowd in the first five rows. You can get personal with them and draw them into the action.”

And what does “CM” stand for?

The most commonly given answer is “Chick Magnet,” stemming from the name of a tag team Punk was briefly a part of in his early days as a professional wrestler. In other interviews, though, he has given answers, like “Chicago made” and “Cookie Monster.”

But he tells The Desert Sun “it clearly stands for champion material.”

DPW: What's it like working with wrestling legend Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat?

PUNK: "It's very cool; a dream come true. It's something you never think would happen and it does happen. I enjoyed that very much. It's good to see Ricky every day; we're buddies. He's still got a lot to teach me and I still got a lot to learn and it all works out."

mydesert.com

tapout
06-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Wonder whatever happened to the Anaconda Vice?