PDA

View Full Version : Easton Area High School alumnus trying his hand at professional wrestling

Black Widow
08-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Daniel Rowe, Easton Area High School Class of 2009, has been a fan of professional wrestling since his mom introduced him to it as a young child.

Rowe, a 5-foot-9-inch, 150-pound, 18-year-old, is taking that interest to a new level as he attempts to make a name for himself competing as "Danny Danger" inside the ring against bigger, stronger foes.

Ezekiel Jackson and Vladimir Kozlov gave Rowe a rude introduction to the Extreme Championship Wrestling circuit when they took turns pummeling the aspiring competitor.

"He took a little bit of (a beating) that night, but that's what they needed him for," said his trainer and wrestler Robb "All Day Long" Daly.

Watch video of Rowe's Aug. 4 debut in the ECW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gQ-RoHzwhs

Despite his small stature, Rowe's trainer thinks his pupil has many qualities that are difficult to teach and may lead to success in pro wrestling.

"In the wrestling business, there's an 'it' factor. You either got it or you don't, and Danny's got it, more than most people I've ever seen," Daly said.

The match against Jackson was arranged when a talent relations recruiter called one of Rowe's trainers looking for someone near his height and weight. Although the match against Jackson lasted less than 40 seconds, he is hoping the exposure on a national telecast will help him get noticed.

lehighvalleylive.com

Read More Below:

Easton grad 'Danny Danger' wrestles for Extreme Championship Wrestling
Monday, August 17, 2009
By CHRIS KNIGHT
The Express-Times

Winning was never part of the plan for Daniel Rowe in his nationally televised debut as a professional wrestler on Extreme Championship Wrestling.

The 5-foot-9-inch, 150-pound Easton Area High School graduate was almost half the weight his main competitor, Ezekiel Jackson, but Rowe was just happy to get a chance to perform on the big stage.

The Aug. 4 fight begins as Jackson enters the ring and flexes for the crowd of 18,000. Rowe tries to land the first blow.

He doesn't.

The 18-year-old is slammed twice, kicked in the gut and pinned. A 300-pound Russian man, the Moscow Mauler, enters the ring and "chokeslams" Rowe, lifting him by the neck and throwing him down. For good measure, Jackson also chokeslams him, giving Rowe a slight concussion.

"You think about it, 'What am I going to do to this big guy?'" Rowe said. "So I tried charging him. He pretty much picked me up and slammed me."

Professional wrestling matches are typically planned beforehand and the moves coordinated, but the pain incurred and athletic ability required is real. The first time Rowe attempted to jump off the ropes onto the ring, he broke his wrist.

"A lot of people think it's soft, but it's a really hard mat. You've got to train your body to get used to it," said Rowe, whose dream is to one day compete regularly on televised professional wrestling.

A television debut on a national program will give Rowe a good chance to be noticed, said his trainer and wrestler "All Day Long" Robb Daly, who lives in Monroe County.

"He took a little bit of (a beating) that night, but that's what they needed him for," Daly said.

Easton grad 'Danny Danger' wrestles for Extreme Championship Wrestling - Page 2

Rowe was cast when a talent relations recruiter called one of Rowe's trainers looking for someone near his height and weight. One-sided fights such as Rowe's are called a "squash."

In addition to previously training Rowe in Allentown, Daly appeared as Rowe's competitor in a wrestling event that Rowe planned in May at Easton Area High School, which raised $1,600 for the technology department.

Daly said Rowe's strong work ethic, determination and early exposure on television will give him a good shot at making it professionally.

"In the wrestling business, there's an 'it' factor. You either got it or you don't and Danny's got it, more than most people I've ever seen," Daly said.

Rowe was introduced to professional wrestling as a 3-year-old by his mom, Lori. Rowe's family watched his televised debut back in Pennsylvania as he performed in Long Island, N.Y.

His grandfather, Richard Hammerstone, said his grandson's big break was well deserved after years of hard work.

"To understand him, you have to be around him to see how he struggled to get where he's at," Hammerstone said. "When he started he was young. He was getting beat up."

And the stage name Danny Danger? Rowe said he made up the name with friends because he used to do daredevil stunts. Hammerstone said his grandson is no one to fear so long as you're out of the ring.

"He just made up that name for himself," Hammerstone said. "He's not dangerous."

lehighvalleylive.com

Staynes
08-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Are they kidding? There is no way that this small guy can fit in the wwe even Evan Bourne is much bigger at this size so i dont think his got a chance to join the Wwe or Fcw but Wwe does stupid things all the time never say no..

tapout
08-17-2009, 10:51 PM
MWAhahaha talk about a Squash.

DUKE NUKEM
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
thanks for this ryan