PDA

View Full Version : Ted DiBiase: 'You can't just show up and expect to be a main eventer'

John
10-04-2009, 08:22 AM
IN the large turnover of new WWE talent during the last few years one very familiar name stands out: Ted DiBiase.

In just 18 months with the company, the 26-year-old star has lifted the tag team titles, made D-Generation X tap out and even got to slap his legendary Million Dollar Man father around on national television.

And Ted - who shares his dad's name - says his success is as much about how he carries himself outside the ring as his performances inside of it.

Whereas he and partner Cody Rhodes have become main eventers in the federation, other second and third-generation stars like Manu and Sim Snuka failed in their attempts to make it.

In an exclusive interview Ted told SunSport: "We're very dedicated and very committed to what we do, not just inside the ring but outside too.

"There are lots of different aspects to the wrestling business, like personal appearances and reaching out and trying to be involved in different things.

"John Cena is a very good example of someone who does that.

"And that's where I think a lot of guys may fall down.

"You can't just show up for work, have a decent wrestling match on TV and then expect to be a main eventer one day.

"It doesn't work that way."

Cody and Ted, who also stars in upcoming movie The Marine 2, will fight D-Generation X again at this Sunday's WWE Hell In A Cell PPV - live on Sky Box Office.

It will give the young Legacy team the chance to repeat the highlight of their careers to date - beating the duo of Triple H and Shawn Michaels at last month's Breaking Point.

Ted told us: "I'm still on top of the world thinking about that.

"Breaking Point was a huge, huge moment for us.

"That's the way you show the world that we're here to compete and we deserve to be in the ring with those guys. We shut everybody up.

"Those sort of matches are what takes you to the next level. The reaction to it was great, everybody backstage was very encouraging.

"And a lot of people were surprised, which is nice.

"Now we just need to do it again on Sunday."

Ted says he looks to road agent Arn Anderson and his father for advice and guidance as he makes his name in the WWE.

He is also keen to avoid the mistakes his dad made when he was a world famous superstar.

In a candid SunSport interview last year, Ted Sr admitted that his womanising almost cost him his family during his heyday - before turning his life around.

But the younger DiBiase told us: "I'm a married man and I have no desire to ever cheat on my wife. I've got a great family at home.

"Dad raised us very well. He taught us right from wrong at a very young age.

"At first it may be hard to hear about things he did in the past, but I have an incredible mum and she made it easier because she is so loving and forgiving.

"When you see somebody have genuine regret and remorse and asking for forgiveness, as much as my dad was, well, you'd have to see it first hand to understand.

"I'm not a very judging person. I think we all make mistakes and you live and you learn. There should be second chances.

"I'm just glad my dad turned around and when he changed his life, he didn't go back."

Drink and drug problems have also plagued wrestlers in the past. But Ted says they aren't an issue for him.

He added: "With wrestling being so competitive, all that does is hurt you.

"Your fitness, your body, your weight - it affects everything.

"There were so many good wrestlers who are not with us any more. It's sad and may they rest in peace.

"But we have a new generation of guys that are very focussed and aren't willing to live that way.

"We couldn't anyway. We get tested. There is a Wellness Policy. The WWE will fire you on the spot, no questions asked.

"There is so much motivation not to do that stuff and I think it is much better.

"We have a great locker room too. All the guys, for the most part, get along and want to do what's best for the company."

As for what the future holds for Ted, there was noticeable excitement in his voice when he talked about his on-screen 'boss' Randy Orton.

In an episode of Raw, hosted by his father, Ted and Randy had a match with the seed sown that the Legacy member may become a good guy down the road.

And he told us: "That was an amazing night. I had to slap dad around a bit, but it was a very special moment for the two of us.

"It was surreal. I was in there with me and the old man and the old man was my dad! A very cool moment.

"When Randy and I had the match, that was a really good reaction. I think people wanted to see Randy get his butt whipped.

"I can't predict the future but headlining a WrestleMania with Randy Orton would not a bad deal.

"Whether we love or hate each other, are with each other or against each other, that would be a dream come true."