PDA

View Full Version : Thousands To Pay Tribute At Gately Funeral

John
10-17-2009, 09:09 AM
A huge security operation has been put into place as police gear up for a mini-invasion with the remaining members of the band singing at the service.

St Laurence O'Toole's Church - perched in the rough, crime-ridden area where the star grew up - has a capacity of just 550 and is being reserved for family, friends and VIPs.

Loudspeakers will broadcast the ceremony to the packed pavements outside.

The 33-year-old's former bandmates Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch will sing In This Life at the request of Gately's mother Margaret.

Veteran performer Tony Kenny will sing a song called My Son.

Other celebrities confirmed at the service include Gary Barlow, Westlife, Louis Walsh, David Furnish and former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, but many others are expected to attend.

Last night, Gately's grief-stricken bandmates carried his coffin into the church and held an all-night vigil alongside his body during an emotional homecoming to his working-class roots.

Fans lining streets near the church blessed themselves and held candles as the coffin passed.

Some had put up banners on the church gates and outside neighbouring homes. One said 'Good bye Stephen from Sheriff Street. RIP.' Another said 'Farewell Stephen from ya old friends.'

The hearse was covered in white lilies and three flower arrangements reading 'Our Son', 'Our Steo' and 'Our Brother'.

One fan, Wendy Lee, 26, had travelled from Taiwan for the funeral. "I just cry and can't sleep, I'm very upset," she said.

Her friend Michelle Robinson, 25, added: "I was devastated when I heard Stephen had died. I was shaking - it still hasn't sunk in. I still haven't cried yet - maybe I will at the funeral."

The service will take place at noon and will be followed by a funeral party for 450 invited guests at the plush Four Seasons Hotel.

Keating and his bandmates have each had themselves tattooed with the numbers "76 09" to mark Gately's death. The numbers correspond to the years of the star's birth and death.