PDA

View Full Version : Sting slams 'karaoke' X Factor

John
11-11-2009, 06:17 PM
The singer hit out at the programme's judges for appearing to show more concern with their own careers and for having "no recognisable talent".

The star, who rose to fame with The Police with whom he notched up five Grammy Awards and two Brits, said real musical flair was to be found in pubs and clubs, rather than on a "preposterous" talent show.

"I am sorry but none of those kids are going to go anywhere, and I say that sadly," he told London's Evening Standard.

"They are humiliated when they get sent off. How appalling for a young person to feel that rejection. It is a soap opera which has nothing to do with music. In fact, it has put music back decades. Television is very cynical."

The singer said he had kept an open mind to begin with but added: "Basically I was looking at televised karaoke where they conform to stereotypes.

"They are either Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston or Boyzone and are not encouraged to create any real unique signature or fingerprint.

"That cannot come from TV. The X Factor is a preposterous show and you have judges who have no recognisable talent apart from self-promotion, advising them what to wear and how to look. It is appalling."