PDA

View Full Version : Critics blast Beckham 'Idol' appearance

OMEN
01-14-2010, 12:48 AM
Victoria Beckham's appearance on American Idol has been slammed by US critics.

The former Spice Girl was branded "crazy" and a "failure" after clashing with judge Simon Cowell on the opening show of the ninth series.

New York's The Village Voice wrote: "Victoria Beckham does look sharp, if rather Jackie O. Barbie, tonight in a trim red suit. But her face is just too crazy for the close-up, and she has nothing to add to the commentary.

"I always thought a British accent made people sound smart but I guess I was wrong. Simon really does have that X Factor."

The Los Angeles Times claimed that Beckham's appearance on the panel was "off-putting".

"The night's saddest failure, however, was guest judge Victoria Beckham, who actually made plenty of appealing comments and bonded beautifully with fellow judge Kara DioGuardi but whose gaunt appearance was so off-putting it might have cost her the slot DeGeneres eventually won," the review read.

Elsewhere, The Washington Post criticised the 35-year-old for wearing a lace headband on the show.

"Beckham-Spice appears to have cracked open her head, because it seemed to be held together with a strip of lace she found in her granny's closet. The other Idol judges politely pretended not to notice," the paper wrote.

Beckham is to appear as guest judge on the first two episodes before comedienne Ellen DeGeneres takes over full-time.

DS