PDA

View Full Version : Live Notes and 4 Dark Matches From ECW on Tuesday

F4L
08-03-2006, 07:19 AM
John Permaul sent in the following:

I just got back from ECW on SciFi from the Hammerstein Ballroom. Here's a few notes I wanted to pass along. The fans really made tonight's show. There were 4 dark matches.

Dark Matches:
1) Rene Dupree vs. Balls Mahoney: I was quite surprised (along with everyone else) when Dupree's music played. The fans were solely behind Mahoney, but these two put on a really good match. Mahoney was able to get the win.

2) FBI vs. Smackdown's Brian Kendrick and Paul London: The Smackdown champs were booed. The FBI's Nunzio looked like he had an injury coming into the match, but this was a very solid tag match. One thing I always wondered was if WWE was going to make ECW Tag Team titles. FBI vs. Kendrick/London reminded me of FBI vs. Tajair/Super Crazy from One Night Stand 2006...this was simply a great match. I really wish this match could have aired on television. The Smackdown champs picked up the victory.

3) Roadkill vs. Stevie Richards: Another good match. Roadkill teased the fans at one point, going to the top rope, and then when the fans started cheering, he got off the top turnbuckle. Great back and forth action. Richards was able to pick up the victory.

4) CW Anderson vs. Shannon Moore: The fans were behind CW. Many chanted for Moore to "not come back". Anderson was able to pick up the victory, but then after the match Moore got on the microphone and stated how he was not doing it for the fans, but doing it for himself to prove he's the best cruiserweight in the world.

Next they played a WWE Divas video, and then Tazz and Joey Styles made their way to the announcers desk.

I'm not sure how everything came across on tv, but the NYC fans never cease to amaze me. If you remember that sign that said "If Cena Wins, We Riot" hanging off the balcony at One Night Stand 2006, this time around security did not let ANYTHING be hung from the balcony. That worked against me since I wanted to hang a sign that says "Bring ECW Here Every Week".

At the start of the Big Show/Batista match, when the ring announcer goes to introduce the two of them, there was a roll of toliet paper that was thrown into the ring, and then it bounced out and rolled outside...that was me and my bad aim. It didn't unravel like it was supposed to.

The fans hated the main event. I believe there was a commercial break during that match. During that commercial break all Big Show did was stand outside the ring and Batista just stood inside the ring...nothing else. The fans thought that this was an extreme rules match, but when the match ended with a DQ, the fans were just happy that this match was finally over.

Post Show:
After the show went off the air, Sabu stood at the entrance way, and then left. Big Show and Batista then went into the ring once more, did a faceoff, and then shook hands. Batista then went around the ring, high fiving fans and then left. Big Show did the same, but then got into a battle of words with a few fans. One fan took offense and then tried to jump the guard rail, but then security quickly moved in and took him down. It was quite a scene.

I spoke to my friend Mark on the phone during the show, and when I asked how did it come across on tv, he said something along the lines of "this is how ECW should be". When RAW first started, every week it was from the Manhattan Center. WWE loves recycling storylines, so WWE for once should repeat history and just have ECW air from NYC. Just compare this crowd to any other crowd since ECW debuted on SciFi. For the most part the show was close to selling out...but if you're a die hard ECW fan, you pay to see ECW...you don't pay to see Knox, Vampires, and Big Show as your champ. At least we were able to see great action, especially with the 4 dark matches and the Dreamer/Sandman match.