PDA

View Full Version : MVP and Matt Striker on MSNBC Report

Travicity
09-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Matt Striker and MVP appeared this afternoon on MSNBC to promote the Wrestlemania Reading Challenge.

MVP was asked how one would reach out to reluctant readers when he and other talents go and make appearances at schools. MVP commented that as a WWE Superstar, they "hold lots of influence over these kids" so when he walks into a room and talks to children about reading - noting he loves to read and has a quote from "The Count of Monte Crisco" tattooed on his forearm - and he shows that to them, kids are blown away. He pushed the contest that encourages children to read with the winners being flown to Wrestlemania to meet their favorite stars and that they get good feedback from it.

Striker was asked if there is a responsibility for "heroes of children" to show them that "school is cool." Striker agreed and said that role models across the country, whether they be musicians, actors or sports personalities, need to understand that young people look up to them for guidance and cues on how to live their lives. He said that when a WWE Diva encourages an 11 year old to read a book, that is a responsibility that they all need to embrace.

The performers were asked if they were trying to counter the negative messages that some in celebrity culture make their money on. MVP agreed that they were and said that it's sad that in the information age, kids would rather play games or be on the Internet, which isn't "reading in the same way." He pointed out the Mania Challenge and their REAL Reading program, trying to tell kids what they need to do to make something of themselves.

Striker's issues with the New York City Board of Education from a few years back (where he used sick days while working as a teacher to wrestle professionally) were brought up and Striker was asked how he can "get up on your moral high horse about how important an education is when you've call in sick to wrestle..." Striker said, "Just like anything else, you have to spin it. I went to my students when all of this came out and I said to them that calling in sick was deemed by some wrong. It's semantics really, but I reinforced that I was following my dreams and I still get letters and emails from my students from back then that say you inspired me to go on to a dance school or a cooking school and you really inspired me to follow my dreams."

Striker pointed out that even in talking to fans, he corrects them on their grammar and MVP joked that Striker does that all the time.

Striker was asked his favorite novel and he laughed, noting he would get flack for saying it, but it was "Are You These God, it's me Margaret" by Jude Blume, adding he grew up with several sisters and had hand me down books.

PWI