PDA

View Full Version : Bragging Rights May not have much to Brag About...

Travicity
10-06-2010, 03:04 PM
WWE's dropping buyrates have been a big topic of discussion this year, particularly when it comes to the "B" shows (in other words, any PPV other than Wrestlemania, Summerslam, Royal Rumble and Survivor Series). Well, Bragging Rights looks to be in a position to not only continue the trend of dropping buyrates, but take things to an even uglier low when you look at the competition for viewers and PPV dollars WWE will be dealing with that weekend.

Bragging Rights takes place on Sunday, October 24th. The night before, Saturday, October 23rd, UFC will present their UFC 121 event, headlined by UFC Heavyweight Champion (and former WWE star) Brock Lesnar defending against undefeated Cain Velasquez. The undercard features a lot of UFC favorites like Tito Ortiz, Matt Hamill and Diego Sanchez, and also the UFC debut of former Strikeforce star Jake Shields. As we have seen in the past, most notably with Survivor Series last year, a major UFC event the night before a WWE PPV will hurt the buyrate. It's just a case of simple economics, as a viewer interested in ordering both events will have to shell out over $90 (depending on your system) for the shows. The fact Brock Lesnar is on the show makes it even more appealing to wrestling fans who are also MMA viewers (or just want to see Brock).

Things aren't any easier for WWE on the actual day of the event. Bragging Rights will take place opposite NBC's Sunday Night Football, which on October 24th will showcase NFC North division rivals the Minnesota Vikings and the Green Bay Packers. It will be only the second time since leaving Green Bay that now-Vikings quarterback Brett Farve will play at Lambeau Field in Wisconsin. For those that aren't familiar with football, allow me to explain how big of a game this is.

Last year, the first meeting between the Packers and Vikings in Minnesota on October 5th, on a broadcast of ESPN's Monday Night Football, was the most viewed telecast in cable history. Not the most viewed of the week, or the month, or the year. The most viewed telecast in the history of cable television. EVER. It pulled in a 15.3 rating and was seen in 15.1 households, both cable records. A month later, the two teams played again, this time in Wisconsin, and pulled in a 17.4 network rating for FOX, beating out even the World Series game that aired the same night on FOX (the Packers-Vikings game was at 4pm est).

Even though the Farve story is not as big as it was last year, it is still a major topic amongst NFL fans, and with Green Bay an early Superbowl favorite, you have to expect this game will again pull in a substantial audience, one that won't be ordering a WWE PPV at the same time.

On top of that, there is one other event on October 24th that could grab away more potential viewers from Bragging Rights. Depending on how things play out, Game Seven of the National League Championship Series is set for October 24th. Now, there is a chance the game won't be necessary, but if it is, you have to think another piece of the male demographic WWE desires will be wanting to see what team makes it to the World Series, for free, versus a WWE event they have to pay for.

If WWE manages to pull in a huge buyrate with this PPV, they certainly will have something to brag about.

PWI

Kenpachi Zaraki
10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd still watch WWE tbh

Travicity
10-06-2010, 10:55 PM
WWE's Bragging Rights pay-per-view may have a tough time meeting buyrate expectations in a few weeks. The show takes place on October 24th, and is up against some stuff competition.

The night before is UFC 121 with Brock Lesnar defending his UFC Heavyweight Title against Cain Velasquez, while on Sunday night it faces a football game between NFC North rivals the Minnesota Vikings and the Green Bay Packers.

Additionally, depending on how things play out Game Seven of the National League Championship Series is set for October 24th. Good luck!

EWN

UFC will be the better pick :P

Relapse
10-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Lesnar vs Velasquez is going to pwn Bragging Rights.

Travicity
10-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Yup UFC for me also. Bragging Rights isnt a Must See PPV.

ArJay
10-07-2010, 04:19 AM
One more thing to add to the Green Bay/Minnesota game, Randy Moss is now a Viking. I'll prolly flip back and forth between the game and Raw. As for BR, I'll stream that on my PC while watching the Sunday Night Game. I don't watch UFC so I could give a fuckless about it.

Black Widow
10-07-2010, 09:50 AM
i dont think wwe will do well with this ppv until they start providing quality in there shows, matches and storylines, the only good thing wwe have done in the past few months was bring in the nexus

Punisher
10-07-2010, 02:42 PM
They picked the worst weekend for this show. UFC is going to be amazing. that card is stacked from head to toe. And if the Packers and Vikes are playing In Greenbay, that is going to generate a massive amount of people including me

Metalitia
10-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Given the choice Bragging Rights is gonna be well down many peoples lists I would have thought.

Not only because of the tough competition from other companies over that weekend but it's WWEs 3rd PPV in about 5 weeks, just a couple of weeks after arguably TNAs biggest PPV of the year and also there's nothing particularly BIG concerning the outcome of any matches that will likely be on the card.

Maybe a continued trend of lowering PPV buys and ratings fro their TV shows will make WWE realise that their product needs some serious work done to it and that the more they continue to effectively shun the 18 plus demographic the worse their product is gonna suffer.

Kenpachi Zaraki
10-07-2010, 06:25 PM
MMA sucks I don't give a shit about it. Neither do I watch American Football so yep WWE it is :D

Smartmark
10-08-2010, 02:43 AM
I'm actually really excited for this PPV.

Orton is WWE Champ. Kane is WHC champ and are destroying Taker. Cena has joined Nexus and Morrison is the contender for Danielsons US Title. Why shouldn't I watch? :P

Travicity
10-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Morrison vs Danielson holy shit lol.

But yup still UFC For me were only a few people but numbers and PPV Buys will be shown soon.