PDA

View Full Version : Jericho says he wouldn't wrestle outside of WWE

Konan
10-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Chris Jericho told the UK Sun that he won't wrestle outside WWE. "I have a certain understanding with Vince (McMahon)," Jericho said. "Sometimes he gets mad at me, sometimes I get mad at him. But the bottom line is I love wrestling and I love the WWE. I will never wrestle anywhere other than the WWE. That's a given and everyone knows it."

Jericho went on to comment on his wrestling status. "I could tell you everything that is going on in black and white, but that wouldn't be as fun," said Jericho. "You'll have to wait and see how things play out. I got kicked in the head in WWE and now I'm coming to the UK to rock my socks off."

Black Widow
10-11-2010, 12:57 PM
WWE contract rebel Chris Jericho has sworn his undying loyalty to Vince McMahon's organisation.

Despite currently being on hiatus from wrestling to tour the UK with his rock band Fozzy, Jericho insists if he returns to the ring it will ONLY be with WWE.

In the first part of an exclusive interview with SunSport, he said: "I have a certain understanding with Vince. Sometimes he gets mad at me, sometimes I get mad at him.

"But the bottom line is I love wrestling and I love the WWE. I will NEVER wrestle anywhere other than the WWE. That's a given and everyone knows it.

"I'm a creative person and, just like the boss, I'm going to do things that creatively stimulate me. Vince is surrounded by a lot of yes men and I think he is very refreshed by the fact that I'm not a yes man."

Throughout our 40-minute chat, Jericho consistently referred to WWE as 'we', although he refused to categorically clear up the speculation surrounding him and state whether he will definitely return to work for McMahon.

He said: "I've always had an air of mystery. I love the hardcore fans and if there was an Internet back in the '80s I would have been on it too, but I like to pull their chain. People don't know as much as they think they know.

"So my status right now is that I've got a big Fozzy tour coming up for the next three weeks in the UK, that's what I'm looking forward to right now, and what happens after that is what happens after that.

"I could tell you everything that is going on in black and white, but that wouldn't be as fun. You'll have to wait and see how things play out.

"I got kicked in the head in WWE and now I'm coming to the UK to rock my socks off."

Jericho was written out of WWE programming after a trademark punt kick by rival Randy Orton. This has, in the short term, led to a break to facilitate a tour of the UK with Fozzy which starts on Saturday.

There is currently not only speculation on when and if Jericho will return to WWE, but also in what capacity.

During 2010 his popularity has grown, with the supposed bad guy gaining cheers from live crowds. On more than one occasion he has teased a fully fledged babyface turn, only to become a cowardly heel once more.

The Canadian, a true student of the wrestling game if ever there was one, seems to revel in his role as a master manipulator.

He said: "I love being able to tread that line throughout the course of a show, to get people happy and angry within a five-minute span of time. It's not just a matter of studying wrestling, it is a matter of being around for years.

"There are not a lot of guys in this business who can say that they've been around for that long and been to all these different places that I've been. I can just fall back on those experiences, come to the ring with a huge cheer then make people boo and make them cheer again.

"Stuff like that keeps it interesting for me."

However, despite an obvious passion for the creative side of wrestling, Jericho claims he has no interest in moving behind the camera as a writer or agent when he finally hangs up his boots.

Looking ahead to when he does call it quits in the ring, he added: "I think when it's time for me to be finished in wrestling, finished on camera, then I'll be finished with the business, maybe completely.

"I might end up doing commentating or something like that. I have a journalism degree but I'd rather be the person who is being written about, rather than the person who is writing.

"I think it's the same with creative. I don't think I'd ever be able to give up the spotlight. Kicking and screaming, if I had to I would, but I feel I'm more of a creative person in front of the camera than behind it."

Although a very accomplished in-ring performer, Jericho's biggest strength is undoubtedly his ability to use the microphone to develop his character and achieve any crowd reaction he desires.

After spending his initial five years in WWE as a brash upstart known as Y2J, on his return in 2007 he soon developed a new and totally different fan-hating character.

Speaking about the metamorphosis, Jericho compared himself to fellow wrestling greats such as Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair and Undertaker.

He told us: "That character on my return was because I didn't want to be a nostalgia act. I wanted to reinvent completely.

"It was like the inspiration people take from Madonna and Kiss — acts who would completely reinvent themselves album by album, still remaining true to themselves as an artist but changing things up.

"My attitude was that people see me 52 weeks out of a year on weekly TV, so I'd be pretty freakin' boring if I looked the same, acted the same, had the same moves, the same catchphrase and the same schtick every single night.

"Unlike with music, in wrestling, you could do the same act for 30 years.

"Look at Flair or Hogan or guys that have been around for years. They do the same thing.

"Although Hogan reinvented himself with the nWo, a guy like Flair does the same thing every night and people want to see it.

"I've always been the type of guy that wants to change, adapt and morph from year to year.

"The Undertaker has done that. I've called him the 'Madonna of wrestling'. We laugh about it.

"He constantly changes his look, his appearance, his act. He adds things to it, does different moves, has different ring music and can then go back to the tried and true formula that works. He's always been an inspiration.

"I look back through the matches on my new DVD and I am different all the way through.

"If you looked back and you were the same for the last 10, 15 or 20 years, you'd be like, 'Man, that's pretty boring'."

Chris Jericho tours the UK with his band Fozzy on the Let The Madness Begin Tour from October 9-21. For tour dates and ticket information go to FozzyRock.com.

The Sun

Smartmark
10-11-2010, 03:05 PM
At least he won't be able to ruin other companies :P

Kenpachi Zaraki
10-11-2010, 07:55 PM
yeah sure so ruin means drawing millions of dollars which other companies only dream about sure why not :rolleyes:

JohnCenaFan28
10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Jericho's so amazing, I'm so glad he's not going to waste his talents in stupid indies/TNA.