PDA

View Full Version : London Bomb Survivor Was Trapped Under Body

John
12-01-2010, 07:06 PM
A survivor of the 7/7 bombings has described how he was trapped under a dead woman until emergency services came to his rescue.

Olawale Akerele told an inquest he remembers looking into the open eyes of a woman whose lifeless body was crushing his legs.

Mr Akerele was one of the commuters on the Piccadilly line train between King's Cross and Russell Square on the morning of July 7, 2005.

Having managed to find a seat on the crammed carriage he was just feet from where Jermaine Lindsay detonated his home-made bomb.

Mr Akerele said it felt like his head was being ripped open. He described feeling like he was "between worlds".

"There was a loud, loud bang and I was lifted off my seat, it almost felt like I was being drowned because the heat and air of the smoke took my breath," he said.

Coming round from the blast, he realised his legs were trapped by a woman's body.

The eyes of the dead woman were open and Mr Akerele explained the image still causes him distress.

"I had counselling after because I kept seeing this person in my head," he said.

Mr Akerel told the jury that lying in the dark carriage, he was forced to confront death.

"We all heard another train from another line so everybody started screaming," he said.

"We thought there would be a crash... At that point I thought I accepted death."

Mr Akerel was eventually recovered from the wreckage and had to recieve treatment to his hip and spine.

Many people were injured in the explosion, and 52 people lost their lives.

The inquests into the deaths began on 11 November at the Royal Court of Justice in London.

Source - Yahoo News.