PDA

View Full Version : The Miz says Roddy Piper's comments on Raw offended him

John
12-04-2010, 01:05 PM
WWE Champion The Miz told ESPN's Bill Simmons that Roddy Piper's recent comments on Raw regarding the old school generation offended him. "He went out there and it sounded like he was calling my generation a bunch of little girls, and that we don't go after stuff and that we take the easy way out... I get offended by that kind of stuff.

"When I won the title, I wanted to cut a promo on every guy - actually, I wanted them all to be there - and I wanted to cut a promo on each and every one of them that never won the WWE Championship. I always go with what's real and what I'm feeling, and when when I was watching him cut that promo it affected me because I feel like my generation is making things happen, is doing things.

"We have a lot harder work than they had back in the day. Back in eighties, it was a headlock takeover and everybody was going, 'Oh my god, did you see it? Did you see the tackle? Did you see the clothesline?' Now you've got to do all these sorts of things and tell these amazing, elaborate stories, and get your character over so much so... I don't think half of the guys back in the day could have done what we're doing today." To listen to the full interview, visit Sports.ESPN.go.com/espnradio.

Source - PWDotNet.

JohnCenaFan28
12-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I agree partly. The times have changed and I don't know if some of the gimmicks from back then would have even gotten over today like they did back then BUT the talent of the guys back then were really top-notch regarding ring-presence and promo cutting like Piper for example. And the reason why none of them even got a WWE Championship was because Hogan was reigning supreme (at least to my knowledge, could be wrong).

jedi71
12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
well i agree that the talent today has to work harder but to say the talent back then couldent do the stuff they do now is just stupid.

Metalitia
12-05-2010, 07:25 PM
It's natural evolution as to why there are a lot more complexities to the business today than back in say the 80's and previous.

Does that mean the guys back then aren't/weren't as talented as the guys wrestling now? Hell no.

It's simply a case of the landscape evolving and rivalries between brands meaning each company had to think of newer things to keep the excitement up and to stop things getting stale.

That's still the case today at times.

There is always something new, and something better that can be achieved, be it in the 90's when the hardcore element came in, the 00's when the norm for a champion really shifted from being big and strong to the wrestlers ability to keep the audience enthralled and to develop a basic mantra of "expect the unexpected". That's without mentioning the high flying exploits of the cruiserweights and the intense wrestling wars between the likes of Benoit, Angle, Jericho etc etc

In this current decade there is the benefit of having all the elements that have gone previously to develop the wrestling world into a more elaborate, often high risk and high stakes environment.

The majority of the audience craves the exhilarating adrenaline rush of fast paced action, shocks and more complex moves.

It's always been that way to a certain extent from a fans point of view, seeing something they haven't seen before or something that amazes is something that generates a lot of positivity.

It's two to three decades since the 80's though and a lot of stuff has happened, what was shocking then isn't often now but we have become a lot more critical because we've gotten used to seeing so many things.

To some it is sure, but to most of us it's not about who gets a championship and who doesn't. It's more about who deserves a championship and who doesn't.

Kenpachi Zaraki
12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
the title today is so diluted that it is a joke. Piper and Rick Rude and British Bulldog and Owen Hart would have all been 10 time champions today and it wouldn't have mattered squat

jstrick71
12-06-2010, 04:36 AM
For the Miz to say that they have it harder than in the old days is both true and false. The in-ring performances have gotten much more elaborate and much harder, but there are also fewer minutes each show that actually has in-ring action in it. The current superstars have to be more actors than wrestlers.
As far as the behind the scenes stuff, today's wrestlers just can't stack up to the wrestlers of years past. As Ric Flair, Piper, and others have mentioned in the past, they had to work 7 days a week and sometimes twice in one day just to put bread on the table. The current superstars do have to travel but not in the way the older generation did and they are also better compensated for their work. I think all in all it's comparing apples and oranges. Each generation has its share of hardships, but as long as they love it, that shouldn't matter. IMO the Miz should just shut up and enjoy his time on top while he has it.

mikedudelang
12-07-2010, 08:14 AM
It's natural evolution as to why there are a lot more complexities to the business today than back in say the 80's and previous.

Does that mean the guys back then aren't/weren't as talented as the guys wrestling now? Hell no.

It's simply a case of the landscape evolving and rivalries between brands meaning each company had to think of newer things to keep the excitement up and to stop things getting stale.

That's still the case today at times.

There is always something new, and something better that can be achieved, be it in the 90's when the hardcore element came in, the 00's when the norm for a champion really shifted from being big and strong to the wrestlers ability to keep the audience enthralled and to develop a basic mantra of "expect the unexpected". That's without mentioning the high flying exploits of the cruiserweights and the intense wrestling wars between the likes of Benoit, Angle, Jericho etc etc

In this current decade there is the benefit of having all the elements that have gone previously to develop the wrestling world into a more elaborate, often high risk and high stakes environment.

The majority of the audience craves the exhilarating adrenaline rush of fast paced action, shocks and more complex moves.

It's always been that way to a certain extent from a fans point of view, seeing something they haven't seen before or something that amazes is something that generates a lot of positivity.

It's two to three decades since the 80's though and a lot of stuff has happened, what was shocking then isn't often now but we have become a lot more critical because we've gotten used to seeing so many things.

To some it is sure, but to most of us it's not about who gets a championship and who doesn't. It's more about who deserves a championship and who doesn't.

Well said.