PDA

View Full Version : Rey Mysterio talks about pressure in wrestling and more in interview.

LionDen
12-16-2010, 05:08 AM
The Sport.co.uk website in Great Britain featured an interview with Rey Mysterio to promote the TLC PPV. It's a pretty good read. In regard to pressure being added to him as a performer with Shawn Michaels' retirement and Undertaker's injuries, Mysterio commented, " No, no - fans are going to love who they want to love. In my case, I think I’ve been around wrestling so long that the fans just remember me from WCW and now WWE and they kind of put me in that slot of “You’ve been around for quite some time now, Rey”. But as far as feeling like I have a certain weight on my shoulders because these superstars are not here at the moment goes – I just want to keep pushing hard and entertaining the fans."

You can find the original interview by clicking here (http://www.sport.co.uk/features/Sportcouk/1439/Sportcouk_meetsRey_Mysterio.aspx).

Below is full interview:

Who was that masked man? Why, only two-time WWE World Heavyweight champion, two-time Intercontinental champion, four-time Tag Team champion and 2006 Royal Rumble-winner Rey Mysterio.

Sport.co.uk caught up with Rey ahead of this month’s Tables, Ladders & Chairs Pay-per-view event to discuss his forthcoming match with Alberto Del Rio, his year in the WWE, the impact of Nexus, his unique style, who he has learned the most from and why his uncle never took it easy on him…

Are you looking forward to TLC?

Yes of course. This will be my 1st time being part of a TLC pay-per-view.

You’re going to be fighting Alberto Del Rio in a ladder match. Do you think that kind of stipulation suits you more than it suits him?

Without a doubt. I think any type of match that would have been assigned at the TLC pay-per-view which involves tables, ladders and chairs is definitely going to be on my side. I think experience comes out on top in these matches.

2010’s been a great year for WWE. How has it been for you personally?

I’ve had my satisfaction without a doubt, you know. I wouldn’t say 2010 was a bad year for me. I’ve had a free year of not getting injured, no surgeries this whole year, when last year I suffered from my bicep tear. Actually, it was two years ago. You know, I think every year that passes by where you get away with not getting injured and just moving ahead with my programs is always going to be a good year.

The arrival and borderline dominance of Nexus has really shaken up the WWE. What’s it been like from the inside?

I think Nexus was definitely an impact that none of us expected, so the shake-up inside just put everybody on our toes, you know, even though the domination was more towards [Monday Night] Raw and not [Friday Night] Smackdown. Smackdown was definitely about the type of talent that was coming, which caught it off guard at first.

Do you ever feel ‘out on your own’ with your particular wrestling style? If so, is it a good thing or a bad thing?

No, I think my style has definitely opened up the doors for other wrestlers like Kaval [formally Senshi of TNA] and John Morrison. There’s a very unique style that I bring, with the high-flying and what I do, but everybody that has come in has been smart enough to indentify themselves with certain move or technique. So in fact, I don’t feel like I’m on my own.

With Shawn Michaels’ retirement and the extended absences of Triple H and the Undertaker, do you feel extra pressure to be ‘the guy’ and give the crowd even more than before?

No, no - fans are going to love who they want to love. In my case, I think I’ve been around wrestling so long that the fans just remember me from WCW and now WWE and they kind of put me in that slot of “You’ve been around for quite some time now, Rey”. But as far as feeling like I have a certain weight on my shoulders because these superstars are not here at the moment goes – I just want to keep pushing hard and entertaining the fans.

How do UK crowds differ from US crowds?

Well, I’ve always said that the European crowds don’t get as much wrestling as the US and, every time we do a tour in Europe, it’s always a great excitement and a wonderful feeling for the fans getting to see us live. In the US, sometimes we tour the same city two or three times a year, so that definitely brings more excitement to the European crowd.

WWE have recently released a few stars from their contracts. When this happens, is there a big farewell to the guys or do you just get on with it and maybe catch up with them on the road somewhere?

I think you just catch up with them later on down the road. Unfortunately, being part of WWE, you have to stay on point and be on top of your game. You know, this is the largest company in the world that has the best of the best in sports entertainment so sometimes you might not be ready or you might be burnt out, or it might not be your time at the moment, but your time will come around.

You were trained by your uncle Rey Mysterio Snr. How did learning from family affect you and your approach to wrestling? Did he go easy on you or give you an even harder time than the other guys?

I actually didn’t have it easy. I was the youngest kid in the class. He always took it extra hard with me because I was his nephew and he wanted to make sure that everybody around knew that we were related and that, if he wasn’t going to take it easy on his 12 year-old nephew, he wasn’t going to take it easy on a 22 year-old.

Does your son Dominick show any sign of following the family tradition?

(Laughs) Sporadically. Very sporadically. But he does show somewhat of an interest.

Have your knee injuries restricted your movement inside or outside the ring? Are you restricted from doing high-flying moves?

I have throughout the years certainly had to adapt my style through the surgery that I’ve had, but thank god that with what I do and the many moves that have been created, I can work around it. I still try and stay on top of the game and bring my fans true excitement and make them still wonder, “Is Rey really hurt? ‘Cause he really does look like it, but he still goes.”

Who has been your favourite opponent over the years?

You know, I’ll tell you what, when I had the feud with Chris Jericho, it was incredible. I guess we both come from similar backgrounds and struggled so much within wrestling to make it to the top that I really enjoyed working with him.

And who did you learn the most from?

I definitely learnt a lot from Eddie [Guerrero] - probably how to take the step to the next level, so him without a doubt. Working with Eddie and of course working with a lot of people like The Undertaker, like Batista, like Edge, like [Chris] Jericho, you learn a lot of things. You never stop learning in this business.

Has there been who has had you get back to the locker room and think "I never want to see that guy again!"

I know I hate some of my opponents but I don’t have that much hatred. So I guess that, with the type of human being that I am, I don’t think I’ve ever said that before!

Finally, what with all the newbies coming in and getting belts so quickly, do you think that undermines the value of the titles, or the achievements of the likes of Ric Flair?

No, you’ve got to move on. History is history and we saw many great wrestlers back in the day. You know, we saw many great wrestlers even way back before Flair but, to stay on top of the record that Flair had, we have to look into the future and see who has potential to become heavyweight champions. You know right now, I personally believe that The Miz [current WWE champion] is definitely one of the guys that has a presence, a presentation and that has improved in his wrestling skills [and has] the ability to get out and speak to the fans and that has had a great response. I want to say that he’s done this eighty per cent on his own, trying to achieve, trying to be successful. So that’s definitely a step towards the future and not looking behind us. The only time we have to look behind us is to remember who were the great ones and Ric Flair was one of them.