PDA

View Full Version : Mukai Maromo Meets Graham Spencer for Lightweight Title at MFC 36 in February

Swinny
11-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Mukai Maromo meets Graham Spencer for lightweight title at MFC 36 in February
by Matt Erickson on Nov 24, 2012 at 9:30 am ET

Maximum Fighting Championship will put its vacant lightweight title on the line in February.

The Canadian promotion recently signed a new multi-fight deal with Mukai Maromo (8-2), and he'll meet Graham Spencer (9-1) at "MFC 36: Reality Check" later this winter.

MFC 36 will take place Feb. 15 at Shaw Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, will get a main-card live broadcast on AXS TV.

Also recently added to the card is a heavyweight bout between Mike Hackert and Smealinho Rama.

Maromo gets a shot to avenge a loss to the man who beat him most recently, nearly two years ago. Spencer took a unanimous decision from him at an event for the short-lived Awada Combat Club in Edmonton. But with a five-fight win streak since that setback, which was his second in a row, Maromo now goes after a little payback.

"That loss has stuck with me, and I need to get it back," Maromo stated. "All along, my plan has been to become the MFC lightweight champ. I want to become the first Canadian-based fighter to win that belt. I want to make that mark, and then I want to defend the title successfully. After that, I’ll see where my journey takes me next."

Maromo's five-fight streak features four straight for MFC, most recently a second-round knockout of Adam Lynn at MFC 34 in August. That fight was a rematch of their MFC 33 meeting in May, which Maromo took by split decision.

Spencer is on a five-fight unbeaten streak of his own, with just a no contest separating him from a perfect run that started with his win over Maromo. He made his MFC debut in October and took a unanimous decision from Shane Nelson in the MFC 35 co-main event. Of Spencer's nine wins, four have come by submission.

"Many fans and mixed martial arts insiders already view Mukai as the uncrowned champion," MFC owner and President Mark Pavelich stated. "Well, what a better way to prove that you truly are the champion than by getting a measure of revenge against the last guy to beat you. Mukai and Graham are elite-level fighters – two of the very best in the entire MFC – and they should fight for the title."

MFC's lightweight title has been vacant since Antonio McKee took his 15-fight unbeaten streak to the UFC after beating Derrick Noble for the belt and defending it once with a first-round TKO of Luciano Azevedo in 2010. But at UFC 125, McKee dropped a split decision to Jacob Volkmann and the UFC cut him loose after just one fight.

Tickets for MFC 36: Reality Check are on sale now and available by calling (780) 504-2024.