PDA

View Full Version : WWE Star Retires From In-Ring Competition

OMEN
09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
sources: Wrestling Observer Newsletter, TheStreet.com

John Bradshaw Layfield noted in a recent commentary on TheStreet.com that he was retiring from in-ring competition for good. In his final column on the website, JBL wrote, "I have also come to believe that you can't fight father time. A broken back suffered in a match in England, compounded by a herniated and bulged disc, finally made me realize my career as a professional wrestler was over. I since migrated to the color commentary position much in the way that Jesse Ventura did before me."

JBL was injured shortly after WrestleMania, during the overseas trip of Europe in late April. Despite his injury, JBL continued to wrestle and he had successfully politicked himself to beat Rey Mysterio for the World title at the Judgment Day PPV. The plan was for him to be the first person to be the World Champ and the U.S. champ at the same time. However, on the week of the PPV, he sensed that that he couldn't wrestle any longer. He told management that he needed to take the summer off due to the pain and injury. He lost the PPV match, then two days later at Smackdown taping, he lost the U.S. title in quick match to Bobby Lashley. During the same show, he vowed to leave SmackDown if he didn't beat Rey Mysterio for the title later that night. He lost the match and then he went on to his announcing role in June.

XXKSXX
09-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Well its better to retire before u are crippled. He had a good run as a wrestler and was WWE champ for almost a year so that should count for something.

scorpionf
09-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Wow, I respect JBL for that... Most wrestlers would not retire from in-ring competition, but continue to push their bodies so far they pretty much guarantee themselves an early grave