PDA

View Full Version : Could WWE Pull Off A Surprise For 2014?

Smartmark
12-13-2013, 02:01 AM
With AJ Styles exiting TNA, it got me thinking. In this day and age, is it nearly impossible for anyone to make a surprise debut in WWE? That element of a wrestler jumping ship during the Monday Night Wars and coming out unexpectedly is all but gone. WWE either now prefers to build a debut by announcing it ahead of time, or will change the wrestlers name and kill the "character" they once were. Additionally, a wrestler cannot even come straight out and make a surprise debut and the public not know because no matter who they are, they have to go through developmental. So even the likes and talent of an AJ Styles will fall into one or more of these criteria and may not have the impact of someone who, back in the days, surprised people by just appearing out of nowhere on TV.

I don't think so. Chris Jericho surprised everyone when he popped up at the Royal Rumble earlier this year. Now that wasn't technically a debut, but WWE could hide one the same way they hid his return. It's just a matter of whether the audience would see the debut as a major deal.

Considering how far Impact has been taped in advance, it possible for WWE to sign AJ Stlyes and get him on TV before he has his last TV appearance with TNA airs?

Potentially, yes. AJ Styles is free and clear as of 12/17.

If Wrestlemania 32 or 33 happens in Philadelphia is there a chance that for the Hall of Fame to be all ECW hall. They could put in Paul Heyman, Tommy Dreamer, Raven, Sandman, Sabu and the Public Enemy. Thoughts?

WWE will never do an all ECW Hall. WWE would never believe that it would sell to the grand masses.

Given the way the company feels internally about how Philadelphia handled their bidding for Wrestlemania 31 - that the city didn't go out of their way to make a bid or even attempt to try and have the show hosted there - I don't believe that market will get a Wrestlemania anytime soon. WWE rightfully feels like the WM events bring a lot of money to the markets that host it and they want to work with cities that want to partner with them, and trust me, there are more than enough of those.

How many Slammy trophies do they actually have at Raw? Surely there are at least two, in case one gets dropped and broken. I assume they keep taking the same one out to the podium rather than having a new trophy for each Slammy. Including the ones from the pre-show, Daniel Bryan won five, and I want to see him come out with an armful a la Owen Hart.

My guess is they have at least a dozen or so backstage ready to be used. I wouldn't be shocked to find out a few are permanently on their production trucks as they go around the country, just in case they need one.

I was watching a few PPVs from 2002. A great year for PPVs. Anyways, the commentary is brilliant. It's over the top,emotive and adds to/builds the storyline. Whereas now it's awful and does not help build any wrestler. I will compare it to soccer, as I'm from the UK, and we have great sporting moments that have synonymous commentary. I just wondered why it changed all of a sudden? I know JR left, but there is literally zero percent passion or emotion at the moment. They don't even acknowledge the match going on in the ring.

It all starts with Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn. The announcers are doing what they are instructed to do, nothing more.

PWI

I seriously don't hope it happens.

the madscotsman
12-13-2013, 04:14 PM
I will always remember Peter Martin's commentary when James McFadden scored against France, it was the original goalgasm.
I really miss that kind of passion in wwe.