PDA

View Full Version : McMahon Explains why WWE Network didn't launch on Cable Provides Dropping WWE

LG
01-10-2014, 09:49 AM
In an article covering the WWE Network launch, The Los Angeles Times, Vince McMahon explained why the WWE Network is launching as a streaming Network, as opposed to a cable channel.
The reason, quite simply, is that there wasn't enough money in it for WWE Network.

In the article, McMahon claimed that WWE had deals in place for the Network to launch as a cable-only entity, but felt they were "too restrictive" and that they would have only garnered WWE "20 cents a subscriber."

When you compare that to the guaranteed $9.99 per month per subscriber, you can see why McMahon would choose to instead push for the service to launch as a streaming entity.

In regard to PPV providers potentially dropping WWE events in response to the Network launch, McMahon said, "I think it’d be foolish for them not to want to carry the pay-per-view anymore. It’s found money for them."

McMahon's comments were made prior to DirecTV issuing a statement teasing that they may quickly reconsider their WWE PPV deal.

Big Evil
01-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Makes sense to me. The networks are being greedy and trying to take most of the profit out of the venture. Vinnie Mac can't have that, so launch a streaming network and take all the profit for yourself! Perfect!

On a side note, I am looking forward to this. As long as there isn't a bunch of streaming issue or technical problems I think this is a great deal for most regular WWE fans. Ten bucks a month for WWE, WCW, and ECW content including past PPV's and all current WWE PPV's all rolled into one. When you look at current prices for WWE PPV's, you would be spending around the same amount for all the PPV's of the year compared to the price of two PPV's bought separately. I typically only buy Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania in a given year, so this looks like a good deal to me.