PDA

View Full Version : RVD talks about the tryouts in Australia on 7th August, 2014

LionDen
07-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Rob Van Dam was interviewed by News.com.au about the August 7 tryouts that the company will be holding at the event in Melbourne.

Original article can be found by clicking here (http://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing/wrestling-superstar-rob-van-dam-says-there-has-never-been-a-better-time-to-tryout-for-wwe/story-fndkzthy-1227006480701).

Wrestling superstar Rob Van Dam says there has never been a better time to tryout for WWE

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/07/29/1227006/480567-3a97c742-1722-11e4-9008-27f67b099eee.jpg

“Believe in yourself and be ready to work very, very hard and expect nothing in return, that way you will be best prepared for it,” RVD said when asked what advice he’d give to anyone trying out for the WWE.

“I believe there’s never been a better time to go to one of these tryouts and try to break into the WWE that way, because almost everybody on the WWE roster right now seems to have come up through their farming ground NXT. They’re always adding and building the momentum of NXT.”

Having spent time in a number of top level promotions from ECW to TNA and worked his fair share of independents, RVD says the most common mistake made by aspiring stars is their inability to adapt.

FORMER World Wrestling Entertainment champion Rob Van Dam (RVD) has a message for aspiring WWE stars looking to make it big.

A select group of young Australian talent are set to travel to Melbourne on August 7th for a tryout in their bid to earn a contract.

According to RVD, who has been in the wrestling industry for 24 years, anyone vying to get into this line of work and make it their career should act now.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/07/29/1227006/480595-3b8e09cc-1722-11e4-9008-27f67b099eee.jpg

“You have to be outside the box and make your own position, but at the same time you do have to compromise,” he said.

“You have to listen to what WWE tells you what they want. They are the ones who set the standards for the entire industry and to argue against the grain could be detrimental towards your own future.”

RVD says wrestling has evolved from the circus-like freak shows of the past to a high quality action-packed spectacle.

RVD claims wrestling is at such a high standard these days that the older generation of wrestlers would be unemployed in the current climate.

But don’t just take his word for it, see for yourself when the WWE hits Australia in early August.

“All the fans know exactly what to expect,” he said. “It’s fun for the whole family. It’s like coming out to the circus. The stars today are better than they used to be.

“Many years ago when many of us grew up there were a lot of almost freak shows. Big wrestlers who were impressive to look at, where now wrestling has evolved and half of the wrestlers are second/third generation wrestlers.

“I counted 17 different families the other day without even counting the McMahon’s (who own and operate the WWE), and because of that they are so good.

“All the big slow wrestlers wouldn’t even have a job today because the agenda of what the wrestlers do today is so much different. It’s a much faster pace and better matches. Someone like me, I’m very grateful to have my career span over all these steps of evolution.”

It has been almost eight years since RVD was last in Australia and he wants to “display to Australia why RVD is still in the game”.

While there are a number of promotions producing wrestling shows, RVD believes the evolution of the sport has seen an emphasis placed on entertainment and says no one does it better than WWE.

“I’ve been doing this so long that I am privy to a lot of changes,” RVD said.

“When I started out there were many different companies … you could leave and go to a different territory and there were so many different styles. What we have now is WWE has survived the test of time and all the other companies have fallen off the face of the earth … now the WWE is a hybrid of all the different kinds of wrestling. I kid you not, it really is the cream of the crop, the best in the business. If you’re not in the WWE and bouncing around in the Indy shows you’re not with the best.”

The 43-year-old has been wrestling since the early 90’s but joined the WWE in 2001.

A former WWE and ECW World Champion, RVD says his goal is to help the next generation of talent establish themselves as stars.

But at his age, can he still go as hard as he used to?

“I was told my style was supposed to give me a short career,” he said.

“But here I am still doing my corkscrew leg drop crashing into the guard rail and onto the floor at my age, and it all goes together: mind, body and spirit.

“We’re all show-offs. Anyone in the entertainment business, respectively, is a show-off.”