PDA

View Full Version : Batista discusses being the worst babyface in wrestling and more

LionDen
08-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Chad Dukes of CBS Radio Washington DC 106.7 The Fan and ChadDukesWrestling.com had the opportunity to talk with WWE Superstar and star of Guardians of the Galaxy Dave Bautista in an impromptu phone interview Monday about the success of Guardians of the Galaxy, Roman Reigns, his feelings on being a babyface and more. Original interview can be found by clicking here (http://chaddukeswrestlingshow.com/2014/08/05/guardians-of-the-galaxys-dave-bautista-on-chad-dukes-versus-the-world/).

Guardians of the Galaxy’s Dave Bautista on Chad Dukes Versus The World

http://chaddukeswrestlingshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/bautista-drax-clip.jpg

Member of Evolution, six-time World Champion, and oh — the star of Guardians of the Galaxy — Dave Bautista aka “The Animal” Batista made a surprise phone call to Monday’s Chad Dukes Versus the World. The pair discusses Guardians, director James Gunn, his upcoming Kickboxer remake, Roman Reigns, and more.

For those of you living under a rock, Bautista plays Drax the Destroyer in Guardians and the WWE Superstar is being hailed by many as the breakout star of the blockbuster film. The opening weekend success, a record breaking 94 million dollars in North America alone, has taken many by surprise considering the relative obscurity of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise in the comic books.

“It’s just as big of a surprise to me as it is to you,” Bautista joked. “I knew it was going to be great, I just didn’t know how people were going to accept my take on Drax. I just don’t think it was what people were expecting. Are they gonna love him or are they gonna hate him.”

Judging from the feedback online, critical reviews, and audiences everyone is loving Bautista’s comedic but also dramatic portrayal of the long time Marvel character. In addition to general praise for director James Gunn, he also cites Gunn as a source of some of the more humorous moments laid to film in the movie.

“It’s a testament to James Gunn’s imagination and just his writing skills,” Bautista said. “There’s a lot of lines that just kind of popped out [during rehearsals] that James thought was hysterical and he wrote them into the script and kept them.”

No chat with Bautista is complete without bringing up his other career, the world of sports entertainment. Dukes asked Dave about rising WWE star Roman Reigns, who has spoken well of Bautista in past interviews with Dukes. While Bautista has not been keeping close tabs on the WWE product with his Guardians schedule, he had strong opinions on the rise of Roman.

“The guy’s obviously, he’s a huge star, he’s gonna be a huge star. I feel like if they push him out there before he’s ready, it’s gonna put a fizzle on everything, man, I’d just hate to see that.” Bautista added his opinion on the breakup of the Shield stating, “I think they should have kept [the Shield] together a little bit longer. Let ‘em have that babyface run just a little bit longer.”

With the positive feedback on Drax, when and if Bautista returns to WWE as the Animal you have to wonder if the reaction to his return will be positive or will smarks still treat him as they did upon his initial return. Dukes theorizes that Bautista would be returning to a heroes welcome, but Bautista made his character intentions clear.

“I’ll be honest with you, I just don’t want it. I love being a heel, man, you know that,” Bautista said. “I think I’m the guy that people love to boo and I’m okay with that and I love being heel.”

He added, “I’m the worst babyface in the history of wrestling. [Laughs] I’m just not good at it. When you do promos sometimes you gotta say things that people wanna hear instead of telling them things they should hear. You know it’s hard for me to be that guy always saying the politically correct thing. I just don’t like it I’m not comfortable with it.”

Catch Dave Bautista in Guardians of the Galaxy in theaters now.