PDA

View Full Version : Cody & Dustin Rhodes To Present Trophy To Dusty Tag Tournament Winners

Kemo
09-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Cody Rhodes and his brother Dustin (Goldust) will be appearing at next month’s NXT Takeover: Respect event to present the championship trophy to the winners of the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic. It will be Cody’s first WWE appearance (as himself) in nearly a year and a half. He told Triblive this week:

“It’s great though that you ask, because the Dusty Rhodes tag tournament taking place in NXT is something he would really be proud of because of all the platforms it gives to talent, including independent talent that came in for a shot to win the Dusty Rhodes tag tournament. I will actually be there myself, (as) me — for the first time a while on WWE programming — Cody Rhodes and my brother will be there to present the trophy, which I’m looking forward to seeing.”

The semi-finals and finals of the tournament will be held at Takeover: Respect on Wednesday, October 7th from Full Sail University in Winter Park, Florida.

Cody also spoke about his decision to not return as Cody Rhodes after the passing of his father, the late, great “American Dream” Dusty Rhodes. He explains why he think it would have been tacky – and what Dusty told him about how he wanted to be remembered after he was gone.

“It would have been tacky — would have been tacky, and it wouldn’t have been genuine. Many years ago, I used to watch RAW with my dad, and we watched Nitro, and we watched the pay-per-views. Many years ago, there was a wrestler who passed away, and his name was used pretty regularly after that on programming. People were using it to try draw the adulation of fans. Everyone was saying, “Oh, well such and such who passed away would have loved this.” And (my father) told me, and this is something very few people know, “When I go don’t ever let anybody say that about me. I left my body of work on the table already and it doesn’t need to be expanded.” And I never forgot that. So there was never any question on who was coming back.”