PDA

View Full Version : Sting Talks About Retirement, Possible WWE Hall Of Fame Induction & More

Kemo
12-14-2015, 06:56 AM
As noted, “The Icon” Sting recently appeared as a guest on Ric Flair’s “WOOOOO! Nation” podcast and revealed that he was injured during his WWE Night Of Champions pay-per-view match against Seth Rollins and as a result, will need to undergo neck surgery.

In addition to breaking the news about his neck surgery, Sting also spoke about his legendary career and shared some stories with “The Nature Boy” about topics such as the first time he thought he was going to leave WCW for WWE during the time Jim Herd was in charge from 1988 through 1992.

“That was the first time I just about left and went to [WWE]. I hadn’t had any conversations with Vince [McMahon] at all, aside from a NATPE convention once, a few words here and there, and very friendly [and] all good. And when it came time for me to negotiate my contract with [WCW Executive Vice President] Jim Herd and he threw an offer out, and I said, ‘what? What?’ And I’m thinking Road Warrior money and Flair money, and I said, ‘I’m not going to do that.’ And he said, ‘well, what do you think?’ and so I threw a number out there and he just about gagged. And he said, ‘well, I see no precedent for that and Steve Avery, pitcher for the Atlanta Braves, he’s only making $100,000 a year.’ I said, ‘he’s going to make millions coming up here. This is his rookie year.’ And I’m not in my rookie year, by the way. And so, I’m standing firm on what I’m presenting here and he said, ‘well, alright’ and I thought that was it, so I was prepared to, whether Vince would take me or not, I was prepared to leave.”

Although he admitted that he does not know if 2016 will be the year he gets inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame, he did talk about his desire to have Ric Flair be the one to induct him if he does go in.

“I’ve been asked that question so many times over the years, ‘who would you want to [induct you into WWE Hall of Fame]?’ and I said, ‘Ric would have to be the one.’ I mean, that’s my first choice.” Sting added, “I don’t know what’s going to happen for sure, so we’ll just have to wait and see.”

With his 57th birthday and a neck surgery coming up, “The Icon” alluded to his in-ring days being over and being satisfied that he finally got to challenge for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and work a match at a WrestleMania event.

“At least I have bragging rights now to say that I did WrestleMania and now I’ve wrestled for the [WWE] world title.” Sting continued, “I think I’ve done just about everything there is to do and so I feel good that I can look back and say that I actually did something with WWE.”