PDA

View Full Version : Mark Henry Talks Retirement, “Father Time” Catching Up With Him

Kemo
08-19-2016, 12:37 AM
Longtime WWE Superstar Mark Henry recently appeared as a guest on the “Datt’s What She Said” podcast and spoke with host Alexa Datt for an in-depth interview that covered a lot of hot topics from the world of professional sports to his recent trip to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Of course an interview with “The World’s Strongest Man” wouldn’t be complete without covering his bodybuilding and strongman background, or his lengthy stint with WWE. In fact, Henry spoke about the new trend in WWE, which happens to blend a little bit of both of those worlds.

As Henry explained, Cross-Fit training has become a practice more and more top stars in WWE have adopted as of late.

“I love Cross-Fitting,” Henry told Gatt. “And a lot of our guys … Seth Rollins is a Cross-Fitter, Cesaro is an active Cross-Fitter, John Cena. You’ll see 10 million videos of John doing snatches and cleans.”

Henry also mentioned current WWE SmackDown Live General Manager Daniel Bryan as someone who has become more ingrained in the weightlifting community, referencing his recent participation in an Olympic weight-lifting competition in Seattle, Washington and joking about how Bryan claimed afterwards that he wouldn’t be doing that again.

“It makes you better,” Henry continued. “Daniel Bryan won a competition in Seattle doing Olympic weight-lifting recently and he said, ‘I’ll never do it again!’ He said, ‘It broke me down. I was so tired!’ I said, ‘Welcome to my world!'”

At age 45, the 20-year WWE veteran has been alluding to the fact that his active wrestling days could soon be over. During the interview, Datt asked if Henry has any kind of specific date in mind that he will officially call it quits.

“No, I have no idea,” said Henry. “People say, ‘Man, you’re not working that much no more!’ I’m like, ‘Yeah, I’m 45! When you’re 45, come holla’ at me! Let me know if you can work 150 days.’ I can’t do that no more.”

Datt followed up by asking Henry if his WWE retirement will play out for him the way they did for MLB star Alex Rodriguez in the sense that it will just be over one day and then he will transition into helping his peers.

“Yeah, but I’m already that guy,” Henry said, noting that if asked, any of his fellow WWE Superstars would confirm that fact.

After sharing his belief that “Father Time is undefeated,” Henry went on to reveal that it was about three years ago that he started to realize things were starting to wind down for him.

“I realized that I’m not the man I used to be about three years ago,” Henry admitted. “And I’ve always tried to help people, but when it came to having my position taken [and] now I’ve got to play second, or I’ve got to be behind somebody … I’m not the take your ball and go home kid, but maybe I’ve got to go to another team where I can play still, where they don’t have the strength at that position, because I don’t want to be second. Where I’m at in my career now is that I want people to make the business better so I can bow out gracefully. I don’t want the business to suffer or have a setback because I left.”