PDA

View Full Version : Ryback Reveals A WrestleMania Storyline He Pitched Involving Brock Lesnar

Kemo
10-18-2016, 09:00 PM
Former WWE Superstar Ryback recently appeared on the Busted Open radio show and revealed a WrestleMania storyline that he pitched Vince McMahon that would have involved him leaving WWE for 6 months and training to become an MMA Fighter.

Ryback says he badly wanted to face Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania. So much so that he asked for the match 3 years in a row. Towards the end of his WWE run, Ryback understood that his character was not perceived as a credible challenger to Lesnar. With this in mind, Ryback told Vince McMahon he wanted to run an angle where he’d “leave” WWE for 6 months and train at an MMA camp in Las Vegas to build his marketability. The worked shoot angle would culminate with Ryback returning to WWE with newly acquired MMA skills and squaring off with Brock Lesnar on the grandest stage of them all.

“My idea was, and I went to Vince, I’ve been asking for Brock Lesnar for WrestleMania for the last three years. But I told Vince, ‘you have to build me up properly.’ And I go, ‘this pay-per-view, it will break all-time records if you build this match up properly.’ And I asked him, I go, ‘you need to let me go away for six months’ and I go, ‘I live in Las Vegas [Nevada]. MMA is hugely, insanely popular. It’s pretty much the breeding ground here in Las Vegas of MMA.’ I said, ‘let me go join a fight camp, full-time, for six months. We will make it look like I’m about to go out and do a real fight. I come back to WWE though, challenge Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania.'”

Unfortunately, Vince wasn’t buying it. “Vince, just completely, it went over his head and I just remember sitting there dumbfounded. Like, ‘Jesus Christ! You can’t f–king be that out of touch.’ Maybe he didn’t want me to go away for six months or whatnot. I don’t know.”