PDA

View Full Version : Article On James 'Little Animal' Laurinaitis

Dangerous Incorporated
10-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Laurinaitis and Gholston Make Quite A Tag Team

James Laurinaitis doesn't mind the nickname ''Little Animal.'' It's certainly better than his nickname in high school.

Growing up in Minnesota, Laurinaitis played hockey like everyone else. Because he was easily the biggest player on his team, he was stuck with the nickname ''Shrek.''

''Which I didn't really like,'' Laurinaitis said. ''I never considered myself a big, ugly ogre.''

Opposing offenses might view him that way. Defensive coordinator Jim Heacock called Laurinaitis and defensive end Vernon Gholston two of the biggest surprises this year on a defense that continues to impress.

Gholston showed off his great hands for a defensive end Saturday with an interception in the win over Bowling Green. He just assumed Laurinaitis' streak, since the middle linebacker had intercepted a pass in four straight before the streak came to an end against the Falcons.

Still, Laurinaitis caught the blocked field goal attempt in the first quarter, proving once again he always finds a way to get around the ball.

''My teammates tell me I have a magnet in my chest,'' he said.

There isn't enough room to wedge a magnet into Gholston's chest. He has too much muscle in the way.

Only a sophomore, Gholston could be a fixture at defensive end for quite some time. During the practices leading up to the Fiesta Bowl last year, Heacock and others were raving about the potential of Lawrence Wilson and comparing him to former great Will Smith. It was just assumed Wilson would take over at defensive end this year, but with the emergence of Gholston, Wilson now can barely get on the field.

''He's gone beyond my expectations,'' Heacock said of Gholston. ''He came in this spring and really kind of surprised everyone in spring ball. That's when he really kind of stepped up and it seemed like every scrimmage we had, he made plays. When a guy makes plays in practice, he's probably going to make them in a game. Vernon came out of spring ball as one of our most productive defensive players.''

Now six games into the season, that hasn't changed. The interception Saturday was his first, but his sack gives him 4 1/2 this year, second behind Quinn Pitcock's 5.

What makes Gholston so good is his sheer strength. On a Big Ten team full of muscle, Gholston is perhaps the strongest.

''I've seen Vernon squat 405 pounds over 20 times,'' Laurinaitis said. ''It's insane. One time he started struggling with it around rep No. 8 and we thought ÔOK, one more.' Then he decided to go 12 more times. That shows you what strength he has. If he puts his mind to it and you challenge him, he's going to try and do more. You look at him and wonder ÔIs it all look or is he really that strong?' He's really that strong.''

Laurinaitis may not match Gholston in sheer strength, but he is developing a unique fan base.

A few fans smuggled shoulder pads with spikes on them into the stadium Saturday, reminiscent of the outfit his father, Joe, wore during his professional wrestling days playing Animal. Laurinaitis said one of the fans e-mailed him this week to tell him about the outfits.

''That's awesome. You gotta love it. It's creative, I think,'' he said. ''Before the season, my dad had asked me that. He said if you make a name for yourself, you might have some people dressing up with the spikes. You love the support from everybody and it's really special.''

The Shrek nickname has officially been retired, replaced by Little Animal, which seems to be growing in popularity. While it may not be as creative, Laurinaitis is honored to be compared with his father.

''I'm very proud of what my dad has done,'' he said. ''Especially as a linebacker, if they want to call me the Little Animal, I'm going to be proud of that.''

Source: http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17302005&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6