PDA

View Full Version : Jim Ross Defends Michael Cole From WWE Fan Criticism

Kemo
04-03-2018, 04:58 PM
WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross is widely considered the greatest professional wrestling commentator of all-time.

This WWE Legend has been the voice of the WWE for the majority of 20 years. However, just like any other television program, producers are always looking for the next new announcer/host and they like youth. The chairman of the sports entertainment company, Vince McMahon, is no different.

Ross was slowly but surely phased out for Michael Cole, who has been the main announcer for the WWE’s flagship show, Monday Night RAW, for the last decade.

The WWE Hall of Famer recently spoke with Sportskeeda to talk about various topics including fans of the WWE not enjoying Michael Cole’s work. Here is what he had to say:

“Fans today have a very unique voice, and they’re very willing to share it on social media. Michael works his ass off. He’s a good family man, he’s a company man, he works diligently to do his job. I respect him for all those things. I’ve always liked him, he’s a good dude, and folks won’t understand that. They only judge him for his television persona, rightly or wrongly. It’s kind of frustrating. When Michael Cole came on the scene, he was replacing me. Without sounding so overwhelmingly egotistic, that was challenging for him, because I was what the audience was accustomed to. Let’s not forget I had 19 years of establishing my body of work before I got to WWE at WrestleMania 9. I felt badly in a lot of ways for that, but there’s nothing I can do. Michael knows he does good work, and it’s a tough job right now.”

Ross added, “The key thing is to discover who you are and be that person. The more authentic one can be, I believe, the more successful they will become. Wrestling fans are very intelligent nowadays, they’ve always had a keen sense of the genre and the uniqueness of it. I think that the fans understand what’s going on, and they should be respected more by a lot of guys.”