PDA

View Full Version : Gail Kim On Why She Wouldn’t Accept An Invitation To WWE Evolution

Kemo
07-26-2018, 04:42 PM
Impact Wrestling Hall-of-Famer, Gail Kim, was often credited with being ahead of her time during her WWE career. Kim had two different stints with WWE from 2002-04 and again from 2008-2011.

She noted on Twitter recently she’ll never go back to the company, not even for WWE Evolution.

Bc I’ve been there twice. I have never been happy there. Life is about happiness. Impact Wrestling is my happiness. It’s not about money sometimes…. people just don’t understand that

— Gail Kim-Irvine (@gailkimITSME) July 25, 2018

Lance Storm also chimed in on Twitter in reply to Kim.

You don’t date the guy with the most money, you date the guy that treats you right. At least if you have any self respect. Seems pretty simple. #Respect

— Lance Storm (@LanceStorm) July 25, 2018

Kim’s frustration with WWE during her two stints is largely believed to be due to the lack of opportunities WWE was giving their female athletes at the time. During Kim’s first run from 2002-04, wrestlers like Trish Stratus were often made to participate in storylines where they were Vince McMahon’s assistant or wrestle in Bra and Panties matches. Her second run with the company involved an angle where she was Daniel Bryan’s girlfriend and another one where she and Melina were “Frenemies”.

Kim signed with Impact (then known as TNA) in 2005. She won the Knockouts Championship in 2007 and was also involved in several high-profile storylines and angles. After leaving WWE in epic fashion in 2011, she re-signed with Impact in 2011. She retired from in-ring competition in 2016 and was hired as a producer. She now works with Impact’s current Knockouts division featuring the likes of Su Yung, Allie, Tessa Blanchard, Kiera Hogan, Taya Valkyrie, Rosemary, and Madison Rayne.

Kim shared some thoughts on feeling held-down in WWE during an appearance on Sean Waltman’s podcast.

“I felt held down in WWE,” Kim said. “It was just the wrong timing in that company. When I first came into the company the woman’s division was strong with Trish and Jazz with all those girls. When the first diva’s search happened it kinda went away, that’s when I got fired actually, and mind you, it brought me my best friend Christy Hemme. It always felt like it was just never a right fit for me.”