PDA

View Full Version : Maria Kanellis Continues To Lobby For Divas Championship Return

Kemo
08-30-2018, 11:18 PM
Maria Kannelis was discovered in the 2004 Diva Search. Her first stint in WWE was during a time when the Divas Championship played a prominent role. If Maria had her way, the title would be brought out of retirement.

Earlier this week, Maria made comments that she’d like to see the return of the Butterfly-winged belt. Last night, Maria went into greater detail regarding how she would use the title:

I want to see it as a third title. As a symbol of never forgetting our history. Respecting it. Learning from it. As a statement about redefining the meaning of a Divas Championship where the women can define their worth as performers. Make every match for it an Ironman. #diva

— MariaKanellisBennett (@MariaLKanellis) August 30, 2018

Paul Heyman Praises Maria Kanellis As An “Underrated Creative Mind”

Paul Heyman offered praise for his former pupil recently as well. Maria and Heyman were in OVW together and each has consistently praised the other in statements since.

. @wrestling_page2 @RealMikeBennett
I DOUBLE DAWG DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cc – @MariaLKanellis, the most underrated creative mind in the industry, has been since 2005 when I witnessed it myself in @WWE – #OVW. #JustSaying
But I digress.
Oh yeah …
I DOUBLE DAWG DARE YOU! https://t.co/suyY6K2CxG

— Paul Heyman (@HeymanHustle) August 28, 2018

Heyman’s comments regarding Maria are not without supporting evidence. 3 years after her WWE release in 2011, Maria applied to the WWE Talent Scholarship Fund. The fund awards scholarship money to ex WWE talent who apply and wish to continue their education. Paul Burchill and Michael Thompson have also received scholarships from the fund.

Maria was approved for a scholarship and received a highly relevant degree considering her field. She graduated with a degree in Sports, Entertainment and Event Management from Johnson and Wales University in 2017. Two months after she graduated her and Michael Bennett debuted at the Money in the Bank pay-per-view.

Although she is now back from maternity leave, Maria is on the sidelines with an injured wrist at the moment.