PDA

View Full Version : AJ Styles Feared WWE “Didn’t Need An AJ Styles”

Kemo
09-26-2018, 08:34 PM
AJ Styles is the current WWE Champion, proudly representing SmackDown Live ever since he bested Jinder Mahal for the belt back on November 7th, 2017.

‘The Phenomenal One’ has become a beloved superstar. Bringing his indie mentality and aesthetic, he translated them into a WWE style that catapulted him into the main event since debuting as a surprise entrant during the 2016 Royal Rumble.

Given how established he has become within the WWE – to the point that SmackDown is referred to as “The House That AJ Styles Build” – it’s hard to imagine that AJ Styles feared he would never be a part of the WWE at all.

Styles spoke with Daily Star Online during the WWE 2K19 press events that took place at the WWE Performance Centre in Orlando, Florida. During the interview, AJ admitted that he had assumed he and the WWE “just weren’t a fit” and that they would “never work together.”

“I learnt to live with it,” he said, before reflecting on how he felt at the time, “I just assumed they didn’t need an AJ Styles.”

“Thankfully I was wrong. It took me a while, but when I got here the timing was perfect.”

AJ Styles had a storied career long before he was revealed as the third entrant into the Royal Rumble.

Finding success within TNA and a worldwide independent scene, AJ would develop his in-ring style and continuously hone his craft. This dedication saw him win numerous titles across the world, including a run representing Bullet Club as the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship in New Japan Pro Wrestling.

It was at the height of his independent success that AJ Styles decided to come back Stateside and sign with the WWE.

Looking back, Styles contemplates the journey that led him to hold the title for 322 days (at the time of writing), “It’s been a rollercoaster ride, and you just have to ride that rollercoaster.”