PDA

View Full Version : John Cena To Receive Muhammad Ali Legacy Award

Kemo
11-30-2018, 08:31 PM
John Cena is set to receive this year’s Muhammad Ali Legacy Award by Sports Illustrated. The award is given annually to an “athlete or sports figure who embodies the ideals of sportsmanship, leadership, and philanthropy while using sports as a platform.”

Cena commented on the award to the Associated Press.

“To have a legacy award of any kind bestowed upon you is tremendous,” Cena said. “To be in the company of people who have received this and to receive an honor named after Muhammad Ali is an honor that means so much to me.”

“It really is a wonderful match. I never try to downplay that experience because a family has been given one wish and that is to meet you or hang out for an afternoon,” he continued.

Cena’s younger brother is a survivor of brain cancer. This influenced Cena to approach WWE about doing more to raise money for cancer research and treatment.

“I saw baseball doing the pink bats, football with the pink cleats and I asked why we weren’t doing anything. I pretty much established the connection and years later we have donated millions and helped a lot of people.”

Former winners of the award include Colin Kaepernick, Magic Johnson, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.