PDA

View Full Version : Eric Bischoff on WWE’s Universal Championship: “It’s Meaningless. Who Cares?”

Kemo
01-26-2019, 05:40 PM
On the latest episode of the “After 83 Weeks” podcast (companion to the 83 Weeks), Eric Bischoff told host Christy Olson that he’s sure Vince McMahon is taking steps to prevent WWE talent from jumping to All Elite Wrestling (AEW). Bischoff also called the WWE Universal Championship “meaningless” and explained why he won’t publicly debate Vince Russo.

Brock Lesnar will defend the Universal Championship against Finn Balor this Sunday at the Royal Rumble. Bischoff says Lesnar is a total badass and fans are interested in seeing how can defeat him once and for all. However, he doesn’t feel the Universal Championship being on the line adds anything to this match.

“I don’t think it matters if Brock Lesnar held the Universal title or not, and I don’t think anybody cares about the Universal title,” said Bischoff. “It’s meaningless. Who cares? I think people care about Brock. I think he is such a badass, and such a larger than life character, and so unbeatable that the world is waiting to see who and if anybody will come along and knock him from his throne. But I don’t think there would be any more or any less interest in any of those matchups if the belt was not a part of it.”

There are Superstars on the WWE roster who are interested in working elsewhere. After signing with All Elite Wrestling, Chris Jericho revealed AEW offered him the biggest contract of his long career. Eric Bischoff says Vince McMahon is well aware talent might be curious about their value on the open market – and revealed what he would do if he was currently in Vince’s position.

“It’s a talent driven business, and the Khan family is willing to write a big check for Chris Jericho and they’re willing to write big checks for other talent who may be in WWE but not happy. If I was Vince McMahon right now I would probably tie them up in as many strings as I possibly could. In fact I’m sure he already has. I don’t think there’s a lot of talent in WWE that can just wake up on Monday morning and go, ‘You know what? I’m gonna quit and I’m gonna go work for these guys.’”

Finally, Bischoff said once again that he has no interest in debating, or having anything to do with former WWE, WCW and Impact writer Vince Russo.

“I have zero respect for him. I think he’s a fraud. I think he’s just a creep. I just don’t like him. He’s lied to me and showed me his colors so many different times. I get people all the time saying, oh you should debate him. F*** I’ve debated him in front of Dixie Carter, TNA’s attorney. I made him cry like a little child. Because I revealed him for what he really is. And I’ve done it in front of a whole bunch of people by the way. So I have no desire to give him an audience and try to let him get himself over with his nonsense by debating him.”