PDA

View Full Version : Critic Body Shames ‘Fighting With My Family’ Star, Paige Responds

Kemo
03-04-2019, 04:54 PM
The biopic ‘Fighting With My Family’ based on the life of WWE Superstar Paige has been garnering critical acclaim from audiences and reviewers since the release of the film.

The UK-based Evening Standard newspaper had a review of the motion picture featured on its website. Their review was largely positive and their critic gave the film a 4/5 rating. In an odd comment the reviewer decided to single out the body type of lead star Florence Pugh, saying that she has “chunky thighs.”

Here is the comment in context: “Though Lowden’s performance is gorgeous, Pugh is the film’s main weapon. Hauntingly intense in The Falling and Lady Macbeth, the 23-year-old turns out to be an effortlessly nuanced comedian. With chunky thighs. Her character is based on real-world WWE Champion Paige, whose legs are significantly slimmer. How cool! So many actresses offer an idealised version of real women. Pugh is changing the ideal.”

Pugh saw the review and sent out a tweet commenting on the body shaming comment. She stated that “Singling out my ‘chunky’ thighs doesn’t help normalizing an ‘all shape&size’ Hollywood. In fact that’s part of the problem. I do hope people take more away from the film than the circumference of my hams.”

Oh dear. Singling out my “chunky” thighs doesn’t help normalising an ‘all shape&size’ Hollywood. In fact that’s part of the problem.
I do hope people take more away from the film than the circumference of my hams.
?@EveningStandard?

— Florence Pugh (@Florence_Pugh) March 1, 2019

Paige also saw the comments and reacted via Twitter. The WWE Superstar said that she was “appalled” by the comments:

Wow I’m actually appalled this.

— PAIGE (@RealPaigeWWE) March 2, 2019