PDA

View Full Version : XFL Rival League Could Fold After Suspending Football Operations

Kemo
04-03-2019, 04:23 PM
The Alliance of American Football (AAF), which was expected to be a rival league to the XFL, has suspended all football operations today (Tues. April 2, 2019). The AAF was in the eighth week of its inaugural season. Kickoff was just six days after Super Bowl XLIII in February.

According to reports, the AAF was struggling financially and was in danger of missing payroll. NHL Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon had pledged $250 million to initially save the league. However, it became clear very quickly that his vision for the league was much different from co-founders Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian. Polian released the following statement on the matter:

“I am extremely disappointed to learn Tom Dundon has decided to suspend all football operations of the Alliance of American Football,” Polian said.

“When Mr. Dundon took over, it was the belief of my co-founder, Charlie Ebersol, and myself that we would finish the season, pay our creditors, and make the necessary adjustments to move forward in a manner that made economic sense for all.

“The momentum generated by our players, coaches and football staff had us well positioned for future success. Regrettably, we will not have that opportunity.”

The Action Network reports that Dundon wanted to immediately make the AAF a minor league feeder system for the NFL. However, Ebersol and Polian wanted to develop the league over the next three years before doing so. Thus, Dundon made the decision to cease all football operations.

Other issues also plagued the league, such as the Orlando Apollos being forced to move their practices to Kingsland, Georgia – three hours away – and the scheduled league championship game later this month being moved from Las Vegas to Texas. If the AAF does eventually fold, which seems likely, it will have done so before the completion of its first season.

The XFL plans to kick off in 2020, alongside other startup leagues kicking off the same year; such as the American Patriot League, Pacific Pro Football, and the Freedom Football League.