PDA

View Full Version : Sonya Deville And Liv Morgan Discuss WrestleMania, LGBTQ Representation in WWE

Kemo
04-04-2019, 04:31 PM
This Sunday will see the women’s division main event WrestleMania for the first time in history. It also plays host for the second annual WrestleMania Women’s Battle Royal.

The Asbury Press Park Press spoke with Sonya Deville and Liv Morgan regarding their upcoming opportunity and LGBTQ representation. They also speculated about the women’s division in a post WrestleMania 35 world.

Looking back on their accomplishments in the women’s division, they highlighted the first-ever women’s Elimination Chamber match. Deville believes that “we ourselves [her and Liv Morgan] have contributed to the changing landscape of the women’s division, and that’s a personal goal of mine to continue to do.”

She emphasized that she wants “[…] the women’s division to have that legitimacy, I want it to have that intensity and the aggressiveness, and I feel like that’s where I personally can contribute.”

Deville broached the subject of her acting as a representative of the LGBTQ community. She is the first openly lesbian competitor in WWE.

“Being a part of the LGBTQ community myself, it’s another passion of mine to let my fan base know that I represent another demographic in the WWE,” Deville said. “[…] we are diverse and it’s OK to be you. And that’s kind of another message I’d like to spread while I have this platform.”

She shared her hope to see more LGBTQ sports entertainers represented and supported by fans of the WWE Universe.

“I’ve seen it grow over the past five years in the world in general since I’ve been out myself since I came out on WWE ‘Tough Enough’ three and a half years ago, whatever it was,” she said. “So absolutely I’m super-confident that it’s going in an amazing direction and I’m happy to be someone who can spread that positivity.”

Looking to this Sunday’s main event, Liv Morgan states that there is now a new goal for women. One that Becky Lynch, Charlotte Flair, and Ronda Rousey have made more achievable than ever before.

“That’s the goal for every kind of woman,” Morgan said, “to know that (for) this show that has only had men close out, you guys are good enough, you guys are important enough, you guys made enough of an impact to where you have earned and you have deserved to close out the biggest show of the year.”

WrestleMania 35 will go down in MetLife Stadium this Sunday from East Rutherford, New Jersey.